Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Shopping Trip

There's almost nothing better than a trip with quilting friends to a fabric shop. And when the fabric shop is one that is new to you, then the excitement is even greater. Here's a little peek at 2 fabrics I bought from a "finish the bolt" sale - $4.50/yard! I think these will do nicely for backing or, in the case of the green floral, a gorgeous border. The bottom piece is already represented in my stash, so whatever I decide to do with the previous piece will now for sure get a backing!


The store we visited is about 2 hours north of here in Marion, OH. The Good Wives Company is a treasure, and I am surprised that I wasn't familiar with it. Their specialty is reproduction fabrics, kits and patterns, along with primitive decorating items. The store smelled more like a bakery than a fabric shop! And, I discovered that the aromas were due to more than candles and potpourri: sugar cookies and coffee were available for shoppers to enjoy.

Back to the fabrics . . . I studied my purchases very carefully. I do like reproduction fabrics, but I have lately branched out to soft florals and, of course, my beloved Kaffe Fassett. Since I didn't have a project in mind or a quilt on the must-do list, I followed my first shopping rule: get one fabric of several basic colors. So, I looked for a great red, blue, yellow, green and neutral. I found the following:


Then I followed my other shopping rule: when I'm not looking for specific fabrics, get fat-packs. So, this one waved at me, looked at me with big, hopeful eyes, and I gave in...

So, my stash continues to grow, my wallet shrank just a bit, but best of all, I had a great day with new friends and discovered a great new store. Finally, here is a picture of the day's haul.


Tonight my dear Ohio State Buckeyes take on the Trojans of USC. I will have the quilting frame set up in front of the tv, and will work on the remaining baby quilt as I root my team on to a victory! O-H! I-O!

1 comment:

Janet said...

Great fabrics, I like the way you shop for the stash.