Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dealing with Setbacks

I have a long and consistent history of NOT dealing with setbacks. My sewing room shelves are full of projects which ran into any of a variety of roadblocks. Instead of dealing with them, I just put them away; a setback presents a bigger problem than I am willing to face, apparently.

One such project is a quilt I was making in '06 for my daughter-in-law, and now she's not my d-i-l anymore. What do I do with that UFO? I stopped working on it because I sewed about 80 2-piece units together backwards, so rather than begin the stitch removal process, I just packed it away -- out of sight, out of mind.

Another is one that I was hand-piecing. I really enjoy handwork, but I ran out of one of the fabrics (it is a 2-color quilt). I put the project away until I was able to locate more fabric. After a lengthy search, I did find the fabric I needed, but by that time, I'd forgotten the measurements of the pieces I needed. So, I continued to ignore it. I did eventually work on it, but then some other bump in the road popped up. I have so many blocks finished on this project, it is really a crime that I haven't made myself finish it. I will, I will. I promise!

So the current project, the Patchwork Snowflake, has presented some roadblocks, and I am forcing myself to keep my focus on finishing it anyway! I am determined to do it. The problem that was most challenging was that I was short by about 1/4 yard on the blue paisley used in the pieced blocks. I went through the trash and sewed some tiny discarded scraps together in order to get the final 3 blocks made. Her are a couple of photos of the "creative" piecing.




I hated the very thought of doing all this crazy salvaging of scraps, and I could so easily have chucked the whole thing into a storage tub. Whatever made me work through the adversity? I think it was the satisfaction of being able to see it through to the finish. Plus, this quilt represents the first new project of retirement. I spent the first 5 months of retirment focused on finishing UFOs. At the end of October, I began this and I was so excited to be doing it! It's a landmark quilt for me, and it has to be completed. If I don't, I set myself up for wasting my freedom! Don't want that, do I?


I am so close to having the top entirely pieced. Hopefully, tomorrow's post will feature a picture of the completed top. I have not decided on border fabrics yet. That presents a potential setback, but I think I am going to be able to overcome it.

1 comment:

kjquilts said...

I hope you do finish this quilt. There is no better feeling than completing a project! I'll be back to see the pieced top.