Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sick Bernina

Last evening, I was all good. Supper was over, kitchen cleaned up, husband off to a meeting, daughter upstairs doing homework (texting), and I was on a roll with my broken dishes construction. I had the Cavaliers-Grizzlies game on tv, listening as I stitched, and I was motivated to get several blocks finished off!

So, there I was, just stitching away on my hour-glass blocks, when right in the middle of a seam the fabric stops feeding through. What the heck?!?! Nooo! This can't be! I rethread the machne, re-insert the bobbin, brush out the fuzz and blow it clean, and still no-go.
There's Miss Bernina, still sitting on the dining table (after Friday's marathon day with Sharon), light off, and surrounded by myriad hour-glass blocks all marked and pressed and ready for action. But, no action. I can tell when I attempt to adust the stitch length knob (3rd one down) that it isn't "catching" whatever mechanism inside there that completes the feed dog function.

Miss Bernina and I will be off a little later this morning to a repair shop for what I hope will be a quick fix.

I'm wondering how many machines serious quilters need to have for situations like this. I've never had more than one machine at a time. I do have several quilting girlfriends, though, who have three, or even four. It has never seemed essential for me to have more than one - and I've been supremely happy with mine. She's near 20 years old, possibly older. I bought her brand new and at a drastically reduced price when a local quilt shop was going out of business. Back in July, she just had a serious cleaning and check-up when my daughter was finishing up her 4-H project. As a result, Miss Bernina was performing beautifully.

Hopefully soon, I will get back to my blocks. Aren't they pretty?
In the meantime, I will return to hand-stitching the Cheddar Cheese and Crackers doll quilt. I don't mean to sound like I'm disappointed in doing that, because I truly do like hand-stitching, and the doll quilt is such a fun little project to work on.

4 comments:

kjquilts said...

Yes, your blocks are pretty! I only have one machine too. The only time in ten years I regreted not having a spare was when it was in the shop. I did like you and took up some handwork while waiting.

Kathie said...

your blocks are pretty, I love hourglass blocks...
oh I hope the machine is fixed quickly hey maybe you will finish hand quilting the Cheddar Cheese and Crackers quilt, I still need to make mine!
Kathie

Taryn said...

I hope your machine is fixed soon. I traded in my own 1010 for an 1130 back in the early '90's. I love, love, love it. But, mine is having a problem with the "reverse" button. When I push it, there is no backwards movement and then it starts sewing forward with the basting stitch. I hope I can find a good repairman because I want to keep this machine forever. Bernie was my only machine until last year. I bought a featherweight, but have never used it. Might have to soon if I send Bernie to the sewing machine hospital.

camilyn said...

Hi Everybody,

If you are a Bernina software user you get a wonderful opportunity to learn new things about Bernina software with some like minded people on a conference that is scheduled from July 25th, 2010. Please visit this url for more details http://itac20.co.za/?page_id=50.