Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Friday, March 12, 2010

Inventing As I Go

About a week ago, I was inspired by blogger-friend Nicole's progress on a pretty blue and yellow quilt. Since my stash is full of nearly every color combination known to man, I took off on a tangent and started a blue and yellow quilt of my own.

I wanted to do something that would be simple and fast. Those are key words: SIMPLE and FAST. My first impulse was to make the easiest block ever, a bunch of 9-patches.



 After I had about 30 of those, I had to figure out how to put them together. The obvious next step was to look through many quilt books and magazines for ideas, which I did. In the end, though, I simply ended up just creating out of my own head. (Incredibly scary thought, I know!)

I actually took out graph paper and colored pencils to draft out something I liked.

Simple and fast, remember? It made sense to just use plain connecting blocks. That's what's drawn on the top of the graph page (on the right). But I've always liked 9-patch blocks on point. Thus, the bottom drawing on the page (on the left). I made the connecting blocks out of yellow and blue half-square triangles. Easy, easy, easy!! Simple and fast has been accomplished!
Well, here is my progress so far:

The blocks are laid out across the guest bed. Looks pretty good, wouldn't you say? My current step is figuring out the side and corner triangles. This requires a certain amount of math. Not my area; I taught English for 30 years! Give me a bit of time, though; I'll get 'er figgered out! (This may be the non-simple and easy part of my project.)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That is so pretty Jayne! I use my guest room bed to lay out my quilts too. lol
There just isn't anything fresher and more soothing than a blue and yellow quilt.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Although I haven't made a blue and yellow quilt in years, it is one of my favorite combinations - especially now when spring seems to be taking it's time to get here. You have a beautiful quilt!

imquilternity said...

A gorgeous quilt! I love the yellow and blue combination...it's so cheerful!