Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Friday, May 27, 2011

A Near-Finish

On Tuesday when Sharon and I sewed together, she nearly finished her layer cake/jelly roll quilt top. I shared a few pics of her progress here and here. The quilt pattern is called Old Gold.

The blocks became rows and the rows became a top! It is a beautiful quilt, with gorgeous fabrics - I could gaze and gaze at those big florals, the wonderful polka-dots and paislies. Such a peaceful, calming quilt. I'm not so sure that Old Gold is an appropriate name for this quilt done in these romantic colors; perhaps Sharon will consider renaming it.



The fabric is called Martinique and I love it.

This Tuesday sewing with Sharon thing we have been doing is resulting in some satisfying finishes. Our initial meeting was a Thursday, and we decided that Tuesdays would be the best day to commit to. Seven Tuesdays later, Sharon has finished 2 quilt tops, with this 3rd one (Old Gold) very close to being finished. She also has a UFO that just needs a backing which she plans to work on when the Old Gold is finished. She does not sew any other time on her own - she's only been sewing on Tuesdays with me. I think that's remarkable to get all that done in 8 day-long sessions. She attributes it to using pre-cuts. There is some truth to that, but they still have to be cut - triangles, corner stones, sashing, etc,

My accomplishments include a day working on Broken Dishes, 3 days working on the prom dress, 2 days on Bento Box, and 2 weeks on pillows for the porch. A very productive thing is going on here! I think it's working for us!!

Happy Quilting, Friends.

1 comment:

Lori said...

How fun to be sewing weekly!! The quilt is lovely and I agree, it needs a new name;)
Have a lovely weekend.