Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bridal Shower

Today was the big day! Bridal shower! My dear friend Vickie is the mother of the bride-to-be. Since I am one pooped hostess and I don't really have a lot to say, here are some pics of the day's events.


Raspberry Torte. It was pretty good, if I do say so myself. I found the recipe on facebook, of all places, about a month ago. I did a trial run of it earlier in the week, and with a bit of modifying, I think I came up with just the right combination for the glaze. I made 2, and most of the second one is left, so my family is enjoying this!


These little bite-size morsels are called "baci" by Italians. I found them in one of my Italian cookbooks. When I read the background story on them, I knew they had to be on the menu for today. Baci means kisses! These are particularly popular in the Verona area of Italy, and are known there as Juliet's kisses. Perfect cookie for a bride, wouldn't you say?


Other highlights included skewered fruit bites.



We also had marinated mozzarella bites with sliced baguette. Behind the mozzarella are the asparagus roll-ups. They received lots of compliments. :-)



For those so inclined, we indulged in champagne with raspberry garnish.


The day was great fun, and the bride got some lovely gifts. She had requested that we theme the shower around her newfound interest - gardening. Her fiance's home has a yard needing some TLC, I'm told, and she has become focused on grooming the yard to their tastes.



I had hope all along that we would be able to have the festivities out on our screened porch, but the weather was not cooperating, unfortuately. I did leave the door open, so that we could enjoy the sounds of the fountain and the birds. The humidity was a bit thick, but oh well.

Now that this big shindig is behind me, I have a new focus: quilt camp!! For at least 25 years, the girls I worked with at CHS have taken the 3rd week of June to quilt. We began all those many years ago using the home ec room, and we return there this year, even though most of us have retired by now. I have several projects that I intend to work on, and will blog about them in the coming days.





2 comments:

  1. The food looks wonderful. I think after the graduation and then this, you must be exhausted. Quilt camp sounds good, can I come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely!! Sorry it didn't work out to have the party on your beautiful porch.
    I'll be sewing away from home soon too. I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!