Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Signature Quilt

My second signature quilt is completed - well, this is still a quilt top. I will get it to my quilting friend ASAP. (My first signature quilt commemorated my grandmother's 90th birthday back in 2007. I thought I had some pics of it, but I'm coming up empty...I do know how to fix this though! *grin* )


This is from Mom's 75th birthday celebration back in October. I worked on it some in the fall, then two things side-tracked me. First, I realized that I wasn't going to have enough of the fabric I planned to use. Second, Christmas snuck up on me!

I had 3 charm packs of Fig Tree fabrics -- two of one line, one of another. (Mill House Inn was one of them. Not sure I can remember the other.) Well, I did a bad job of estimating how much I would need, and since both lines of fabrics are long out of stock, I spent some time 'stewing' about how to proceed. I ended up using complimenting fabrics from my stash. The result is that I have a very scrappy, cottage-y, floral-y quilt. I think Mom will like it.


This view might make the pattern a bit more visible. I had the folks who attended the party sign a 3.5" square piece of muslin. Then I cut triangles out of the charm squares and created a square in a square block that measured approximately 4.5". The work was pretty easy, but I was inventing it as I went - there was no pattern to follow; only what I was envisioning in my head. (that spells trouble, don't you know!!)

So that is finished. Whew. I had hoped to have it all done by Mother's Day. Oh well.

While at Sharon's Monday, I worked on this and Sharon worked on some home dec projects before returning to her Bursting Stars. No new pics of that, but I will show you a pretty yo-yo topper she had on her china cabinet.


And, it's been nearly a year since you met Rose, Sharon's puppy. She is growing up!


Since sewing on Monday, I have had a different sort of project.  I had to read our book for book club which is later tonight (Thursday). I read this about 6 years ago and loved it, so was very happy when the group agreed to read it. I am enjoying it all over again!


Back to quilting and sewing tomorrow!!

1 comment:

QuiltSue said...

Your Mum will be thrilled with her quilt I bet. As you say it looks very soft an sort of country-cottagey to me too.