Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Friday, November 30, 2012

A Phoenix Quilt

If I know my mythology correctly, the phoenix is a bird that is born from ashes, from waste. Since the 2.5" blocks in this quilt were technically just left over and piled up in a heap, I can consider the quilt something of a phoenix.


I sewed the center of the quilt together yesterday and I am just so pleased with it. The blocks are just a smidge over 6" square. I have made this  quilt top 7 blocks by 7 blocks. It  will get at least two borders, possible three.


We had a beautiful late November day yesterday, so I took it oustide to photograph. It was windy, so I don't have the very best shots, but these will do.


The setting blocks are Westminster fabric by Phillip Jacobs.



My thanks for November 30:
I am thankful for my grandmother. How many women my age (55) can say their grandma is still living? Not many. In just a couple of weeks, Grandma will turn 96. She is the original quilter, and I attribute my fondness for the craft to her influence. I am so fortunate to have benefitted from her expertise.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

 

1 comment:

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Beautiful quilt on a beautiful looking day! I spent some time yesterday reading your Grandma's Quilts tab and your finishes and really enjoyed my visit.