Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finally!!

We have had an unusually long winter here in southern Ohio. The weatherman I listen to says we had one of the coldest months (March) on record. So we are now enjoying a bit of warmer weather. And with warmer temps, we finally have daffodils!!


I can never see a daffodil patch without thinking of the wonderful William Wordsworth poem, which I know I shared last spring, but I feel compelled to rerun it. Celebrate Spring!

Daffodils

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
As the story goes, Wordsworth wrote this poem in 1804 after taking a walk with his sister and happening upon a "long belt" of daffodils in England's beautiful Lake District. I dream of going there in April to see those daffodils. Sigh, maybe someday.

In the meantime, I will quilt! I have a bit of trimming to do. I've got my stacks of HSTs here and I am tackling them a stack at a time.

 
The colors remind me of the tropics - Key West or Florida, perhaps. Those citrus-y colors along with those ocean blues. Perfect for a quilt called Kissing Fishes, I think.
 
Happy Quilting, Friends!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Daffodils!! In our last home I had several varieties planted all along the back edge of our lawn against the woods and it was so wonderful to see them spread each spring! This fall I am determined to get my spade out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful daffodils and poem by Wordsworth. Hope you don't get this next storm, it should hit us overnight and a big temperature drop.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!