Thursday, August 25, 2016

Molly's Baby Quilt

How I managed to forget to post anything about this recent finish and delivery, I will never know. In the general hubbub of recent days, I guess I just overlooked it. I will rectify this oversight now.

About a week and a half ago, I was finally able to get the baby quilt Molly had requested into her hands. Molly, a high school classmate of my DS, is a second-time mom, and while she was pregnant with #2 she contacted me about a baby quilt. I'd made one for her firstborn, and so now I'd be making one for her second.

Baby Ella was born in July, and about 6 weeks later, she finally took ownership of her quilt.

Good grief.

I've bemoaned here on the blog before about what a great procrastinator I am. This is just further proof. This was the easiest quilt ever, and yet I manage to make a major job of it. Well, let's get to the good stuff - the pictures!

Part of the reason for my slow progress on the quilt was prepping a backing (which was a stripe) and gearing up the nerve to test my machine-quilting skills. I do okay on small quilts, but larger ones still intimidate me. And, yeah, it is a baby quilt size, but it's still bigger than I'm comfortable with at this stage of my machine quilting development. I knew I wanted to do straight-line quilting. Finally, I just sat down and made myself do it.


Can you see the quilting at all? I stitched a quarter-inch on either side of the seam lines. I like the geometric look this provides, and it was just enough for me to make myself comfortable with doing it.

After Molly knew her baby would be a little girl, she informed me that her nursery's color scheme would be peach and gray. Even thought the color in these pictures is a bit off, the orange is closer to peach than what you see. I shopped for fabric on our outing during the Canter's Cave Retreat. It was fun looking for these colors. The picture below shows more accurately the peach color.

The backing fabric is the same as the binding that you see above. I like the stripe for the binding; it continues that geometric motif I was going for.

If I can get Molly to take a picture of her sweet baby girl with her quilt, I will be sure to share it here.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty baby quilt. I know about the procrastinating. I have an infinity scarf that just needs two ends woven in and some blocking. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors that Mommy chose! And I especially like the selection of colors and prints you used. So unusual, and just perfect.

    It's always fun to stop by and see what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!