Tuesday, July 25, 2017

July UFO - DONE!

Whoa! I am back on track with my goal of finishing UFOs in the month in which they are assigned. I missed out, sadly, on finishing the June UFO - and I still plan to get 'er done - but I went ahead with July and now I can boast a finish. Let's check it out.


This is Wishes - a quilt begun in January of 2014. The Fat Quarter Shop and its accompanying blog Jolly Jabber hosted a quilt-along in which each month quilters were given a block to make along with directions on setting and border. I was all in on this until October of that year, and then I just plopped it all in a tub and stored it away. I think I got busy with Christmas-oriented things, and found that I just had no time to keep up. Here are a few links to read about the progress made previously: January '14; October '14.

Fast forward to January of 2017 when we Frankfort Girls decided to do a UFO-each-month challenge. This came up as my task for July, and now it is done - hooray!


I spent the most aggravating time on doing these borders, made to look like checkerboards. I sewed one on wrong, and you'd have thought I needed to call in a support team because I just could not get the final border to fit properly. Eventually, after nearly wearing out that seam ripper, I did get it right. Whew. It might be a long time before I think to do another checkerboard border.

Here are some additional looks at Wishes. The fabric is an early line by Fig Tree Quilts/Joanna Figueroa and Lisa Quan for Moda called A Day in the Country. I mostly followed the pattern provided. My changes are in the use of cornerstones, the placement of two blocks and the color separation in a block or two. With a sampler quilt, those concerns don't really matter much, and I am pleased with the results.




Now what to do next? I sometimes get that lost feeling when I finish a quilt, as if I will never decide on my next project. This time, however, it is all decided. I must finish the second of this summer's commissions, and then I will truly be free to work on whatever I want.

Hope your day is productive!

I've linked up with Amanda Jean and her Finish It Up Friday party at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

5 comments:

  1. it is absolutely LOVELY !!! and a great border! Kudos for finishing it! Take care and happy sewing from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very pretty quilt and I love the checkerboard border. Savor that feeling of accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Well done! And oh, the good old seam ripper - such a love-hate relationship...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Great job!
    I know that feeling of needing a support team when you get to an overwhelming challenge!
    But you powered through and fixed it and have a lovely quilt ready for quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!