Thursday, October 19, 2017

Sewing With Sharon

For the first time in several weeks, Sharon and I sewed together on Tuesday. Between my recent sick spell and our schedules, we just haven't had many days together lately.

As planned, I did devote the day to working on the October UFO. The main order of the day was making 3" x 1.5" flying geese units. This pieced border is for the birds, I tell you, and no pun intended! I should have just put a solid border on. I grumbled all day. However, I am too far into the process to change up now. So I will finish it according to the instructions, and yes, I will grumble some more, too.


Part of my grumbling came from having to do the math on figuring out how to make 64 flying geese using the no-waste method. Eventually, I got it right, but I did waste a good amount of fabric. And that's all I will say about that. *wink*


Here is the halfway point of the no-waste method. Funny looking things, to be sure. But it really does work when you calculate properly.


I was a good girl and trimmed them. The block I am making for this pieced border requires 2 of the green and blue flying geese, and one of the green and neutral flying geese, shown below.


And I need a total of 32 blocks. Next step is to make 64 HSTs of green and neutral. Then block construction can begin. Stay tuned. I will be grumbling my way through that very soon.

Sharon, bless her heart, put up with my whining as she worked happily away on constructing her flannel quilt top of 5" squares. What a great winter time quilt for the back of her couch. Think of all the great books read or movies watched wrapped in this! A hot cup of tea or a glass of wine - heavenly for a cold wintry evening!

 


I took several shots to try to get the colors true - I don't know if any of these accurately show the proper tones. Trust me - it is beautiful.

Short and sweet today, quilty friends. I have been spending a lot of time on my two university classes and have been catching up on some things around the house. Next up for me - a hair appointment!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


2 comments:

  1. I have a large square ruler which has two sets of measurements on it. One for the small corner squares and one for the large goose piece. I noticed the online tutorials always come out wrong. I need to trust my ruler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be moving right along even while grumbling, but that is what blogs are for, to share. The winters quilt is so inviting..

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!