Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Quilt Shoppe in Summersville, WVA

On Friday, a merry band of five quilters departed Ross Co., OH, for a distant quilt shop in central West Virginia. A couple of the girls had scoped it out for us as their guild had taken a bus trip there earlier in the year. It came quite highly recommended.

And I think I speak for the entire group when I say we were not disappointed! What a vast collection of fabrics - and some of it was older lines that I used to collect 10 or 15 years ago! Imagine seeing a bolt of Thimbleberries fabric from 1998 on the shelf next to some more current 3 Sisters or Kim Diehl. It was all good stuff, too!

So, if you ever have a chance to visit The Quilt Shoppe in downtown Summersville, I suggest you do it. The owner, Vickie, was just as pleasant as can be. Upon entering the shop, she asked where we were from. When she learned we'd been on the road three hours, she said, "The restroom is in the back, there's water in the fridge, and I'll put the coffee pot on, if you want." Just as if we were long lost friends who showed up out of nowhere, she was all about hospitality.

She didn't mind at all if I took pictures, so let me just show you around. Fabrics were organized by color for the most part. There were separate sections, however, for batiks, 30s prints, homespun plaids, and holidays.

Display case featuring old sewing notions and ephemera.

Upon entering the front door, this is the wall on the right.

The plaids and homespun.

A sitting area! And we appreciated it!
Sharon is perusing some patterns books.

The Halloween section.

The far back left corner;
black and white section next to the fat quarter cubbies.

I admired several of the samples displayed around the shop.

The back wall; this looked like a working area with tables and machines.

The batik section.

Another pretty display quilt;
the owner said she has a friend with an antique business
who helped her "stage" the shop. 

Headboards were often used to showcase the samples.
Now, let's get down to the good stuff - what did I buy? I came away with stash enhancers. No big yardage, but lots of fat quarters and fat eighths. I did attempt to exercise restraint, but perhaps I wasn't entirely successful. I don't think it's too excessive, though. Right??


Lately, I have been on a 30s kick, so the four half-yard cuts down front satisfy that desire. The four packs at the top are mostly of the repro or primitive variety. I think some of the quilts on my list for the coming year (when I'm no longer focusing so heavily on UFOs) will benefit from the variety.

Ah, it was a wonderful day spent talking quilts with the quilty friends in our Frankfort Girls group. It was great spending such quality time with a group of truly quality ladies.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!