Thursday, February 22, 2018

cough, sniffle, snooze...

Have you noticed my absence from bloggie-land? I took sick a week ago Tuesday night and still have raging symptoms. I finally had the sense to go to an urgent care on Monday, and with the antibiotic for sinus infection now at work in my system, I do believe I will kick this illness at last.

Since I am not contagious, I have managed to make my classes on Tuesday and today. That is the extent of my efforts, however. Teaching two composition classes is enough to wipe me out.

I have not sewn a stitch on the sewing machine. I have the EPP Lake Effect next to my easy chair, but my head just won't stand for more than a brief effort. Reading blogs has even been too challenging. I tell you, this really taken me out of action.

So what can I share today? Well, I will rerun some older things and make a little hint of some future activity. Some of you recall, I'm sure, that I was the lucky recipient of a long arm quilting machine late last year. Read about it here. I have spent the better part of two-plus months working at setting the tension and sewing without breaking threads. I do believe I finally have all parts in good order and I'm ready to quilt something beyond samples.

Searching the contents of my sewing closet gives me many options, and the three finalists I am debating are these:


Chantilly is a quilt top I made in 2012 from a pack of florals I had on hand. I have looked back at my post and failed to record the book that this pattern came from, but I can find it easily enough and will make note of it soon. I have backing fabric for this quilt already set aside and while it is the largest of my three finalists, having that backing decision already made makes this quite a promising choice. 

 Razzle Dazzle was made in 2011 for a mystery sample. I have never been overly fond of this quilt as orange is my least favorite color. It would be a good quilt to make my mistakes on. It is rather on the small size, and would likely be table-topper sized.

Plan C is a Carrie Nelson pattern from her book Schnibbles Times Two. I made it in 2012 using Park Avenue fabric by 3 Sisters/Moda. The quilt is not overly large, yet would result in a nice lap size. I would have to stay-stitch it because of that piano key border, and I would have to locate a backing. I have a hefty tub of browns, so I think it would be easy to find something suitable.

I have reasons to get healthy, don't I? So much to be done! On top of being ready to long-arm quilt my very first quilt on this machine, I have two classes of essays now to read and respond to. The world is not waiting on me to get better!

Hope you are having a happy day. Our area is being deluged with rain - I think parts of southern Ohio are suffering severe flooding. That's where I am, but this is further south from here. Pray for safety!

Happy Quilting, Friends!



4 comments:

  1. I've missed your! Sorry you're still sick, hopefully you are on the mend now. Yes, get those small quilt quilted and then you'll be ready for Snow Shoo. Can't wait to see how you quilt that one. Happy stitching and hope you kick the germs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that you are sick! I have been patiently waiting for your longarm posts since you posted about getting your longarm. I have been so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was away on vacation and without computer or internet so couldn't realize you weren't up to posting. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you have been sick.feel better soon

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!