Sunday, January 17, 2021

Fabric Storage

Thank goodness for closets. A few years ago when DD Emma helped me move from a normal-sized bedroom to the bigger bedroom, I gained not only more space to spread out, but also a bigger closet. And that closet is mostly full of storage tubs containing my fabric stash.

I have finished quilt tops on hangers waiting to be quilted.


And below the quilt tops and on the other side of the closet are the tubs of fabric separated by color.


When I was clearing the clutter off the cutting table last week, I needed access to these tubs and having them stacked was not especially conducive to my efforts. So I pulled the main color-tubs out and lined them up in the hallway outside my sewing room door. With the lids off, I could add the fabrics to the correct tubs with more ease.


I think - perhaps - I really like red fabric. The red tub is so full that the lid will not be going on until I do some additional sorting. I have the whites, browns and greens all cleared away now.


For these reds, separating red-red from white-red or from burgundy-red might be an option. I will need to see what I've got first and proceed from there.

I learned the 'separate-by-color-method' from my Frienzies, the home-ec teachers. Kay, Sherrie and Susan had the home-ec room at school in tip-top shape all the time, and they kept big tubs of fabric on top of some built-in cabinets in the sewing part of their area. If separating by color worked for the professionals, then it ought to work for me. And it does.

I have pretty much finished with the sorting and organizing that came from the top of the cutting table. I still have scraps to cut, and I must not let myself get too far removed from this task. If I do, it may be a long time before I get back to it. 

My attention span is short-lived.

Have a wonderful Sunday, friends, and have a great week, too!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




3 comments:

  1. That's a long line up of quilts waiting to be quilted. I too stash my fabric by colour. It only makes sense. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my fabrics sorted by color too. Hope you find some time for stitching this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying your posts on your organization process. Once I got all my scraps and fabrics sorted by color, I became much more productive. I have all my smaller pieces sorted by color and stored in three drawer carts under my quilting machine for easy access. The larger pieces (over a yard and backing fabrics) are in my closet. I am mainly a scrappy quilt maker and this is working great for me.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!