Saturday, January 23, 2021

Heartfelt Thanks

 Sometimes showing one's gratitude can be very difficult, and for more than three years, I have owed one huge debt of gratitude. If you have been a reader for awhile, you may remember when my friend Sharon O. gave me her long arm quilting machine - A Tin Lizzie. You can read the post I wrote about it by clicking here.

The Tin Lizzie started her new life here in the basement, however I never really got comfortable with it down in that cold, dark, damp, and rather dungeon-like space. In 2019, we cleared out a spare bedroom, and after giving the room a fresh coat of paint, updating the lighting, and steam-vaccing the carpet we moved Tin Lizzie in. I am still taking my time getting comfortable using it (still a chicken), but all along I have known that one day I would gift a quilt back to Sharon in gratitude for her generous gift.


That day has at last arrived. Yesterday the Frankfort Girls met at Sheryll's house, and I took the opportunity to present my gift. This sampler quilt is one that began quite unintentionally. A year ago our group had a little sew-along and I made the green Ohio Star as a trial block. I liked the trial so much that I continued to make one each month using the 30s prints. I soon knew that those blocks would become a quilt for Sharon. I kept my plans for this 30s quilt under wraps to preserve the surprise. The 'real' quilt I made in this sew-along can be seen here.

My hope was to have this quilted by Christmas, but the long-arm decided that her encoders were tired and needed to be replaced. After some TLC at the repairman's shop, this little cutie quilted up nicely.




Sharon's kindness and generosity is limitless. This lap quilt is a meager thanks for such a tremendous gift, I know. I pledge to try to make the absolute best use of her long arm machine, and create as many beautiful quilts as possible while spreading joy to others. Just like Sharon does.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt and what an awesome gift Sharon gave you

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special to have such dear friends who love to share a creative hobby together. No doubt Sharon will be over the moon with her quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!