Wednesday, January 20, 2021

New Year, New Projects

 You know how I am by now - I greet a new year with a plethora of projects I am chomping at the bit to start. This January is no different from any of the previous ten or twelve.

Sharon and I have made a habit of starting the last few years with a common project. In 2017, it was 'Elizabeth,' a pattern by Carrie Nelson. In 2018, we did our own invented pattern that we called 'Snow Shoo.' Maybe we have done others together, but those are the most recent.

This year the quilt we are making is 'Lucy' another Carrie Nelson pattern. You can find it in her book Farmhouse Favorites - the very last quilt in the book, if I'm not mistaken. 

Sharon helped me pull my floral fabrics for this quilt a couple of months ago when we were deciding to make it. I am so pleased with this grouping.

Some of these fabrics were purchased this past summer on a vacation stop in Sisters, Oregon. Some were bought in some shopping in DH's hometown of Coshocton. The bigger yardage piece, which is a very light blue, was an online purchase I made a few years ago. Pulling this grouping together seems like it was totally planned; instead, what we have here is a happy accident.




I took quite a few pictures of the selvages, not just for those who might be interested, but for me in case I ever need or want to look for more of any of these. Aren't they pretty?

I have worked on this quilt for a week now, and I am still excited about it. I plan to make all 61 of the 25-patch blocks before making the snowball blocks. That will take awhile. I currently have close to 20 finished. I found that I really, really wanted to see how they looked with the snowball blocks, so I made about 6 of those just to squelch my curiosity. It's gonna' be okay - just have a look:

Wont it be wonderful?!! I will now go back to making those 25-patches and get all 61 of them finished. It will become tedious and I will become impatient, but there will be no more snowballs until the 25-patches are finished. Promise.

Sharon's 'Lucy' will look totally different. In true Sharon fashion, she is making hers of red and white - a variety of French General fabrics. Gorgeous. Yes.


Sharon cut her strips today and is ready to sew. Her neutral will be light beige and cream with the corners of red. Before snowballs though, she, like me, is now about to face some intense piecing time. Soldier on! *grin* 

We all know this is fun, not work, right??

Since this post is getting long, I will wait and share my other new project next time. I think you will like it! 

Happy Quilting, Friends!









1 comment:

  1. I think both quilts are going to be lovely. I also make a few of the alternate blocks when piecing, I just want to see how it's going to look. You've got a beauty coming along, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!