Monday, September 21, 2009

Out of My Comfort Zone!

It has been over a week since my last post. There are a couple of reasons for this long gap. First, the return to the work world is taking a bit more of my attention than I expected. My little job teaching English at the local branch requires more prep time, mostly of the reading variety. With 3 sections of 2 different classes, I've got a total of 4 textbooks to read and study. So that is one reason my quilting and blogging is lagging behind.

Another reason is that I severely sprained my right wrist a couple of weeks ago. Being a lefty, this has not interferred terribly  much, but hand quilting does require my second hand under the quilt. The wrist is mostly healed now, with only minor irritations these days, so I am getting back to work on the baby quilt and the applique row of my UFO, Row-A-Month quilt.

I am terribly out of my comfort zone when it comes to hand applique. I love the beauty of these quilts, and I think I can learn to become adept at this, but right now I am very clumsy and all thumbs. This, in turn, makes for slow going and that over time becomes discouraging. I have committed to the completion of it, though, so I know that this practice will lead to improvement eventually. The most recent additions to the panel are a bird which is to perch on the vase, and a butterfly floating above the vines and flowers.


Here are some of the very basic "rules" I am following: I have used thread that matches the object being applied. I have traced the design lightly onto the background. I have attempted to use the freezer paper method, but I don't know if I am doing it in the accepted way. I worry a little bit about the tiny little berries that are coming. I have seen demonstrations of small bits like this done with saturating starch on the object, so I will probably go that route. See that bird? Notice that it has no beak? Well, after stitching the body down, I realized that the beak should have gone in first, layered under the body fabric. So, I am learning as I go, slowly, stitching my way through the panel.

2 comments:

  1. Your applique looks pretty good. Just keep doing it and you'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Lori and if you strike any dilemas, blogger friends will help. Did you know your email addy isn't diplayed? so you probably come up as no reply blogger.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!