Such a funny name for a block - in an odd way, you know. Great Granny Block. The name comes from the crocheted blocks called granny squares. The little squares were/are popular because they provide a great way to use leftover bits of yarn. Click this link to see a Pinterest example. These crocheted versions translate well to fabric, and likewise, they are great for using scraps.
So, as I understand it, some clever quilter ramped up the granny square by adding another row around it, thus making it a great granny square. Whenever I first saw them - sometime in the last 15 years, I suppose - I knew that I would love making these blocks.
So now, I am nearly finished with enough to make a quilt. Click back here to see when I had just 6 blocks finished with plans to go to 20. At some point I decided to go to 30, and this morning I stand at 28 finished blocks, with the remaining 2 prepped and awaiting stitching beside my machine.
When I began making these blocks, I really had no specific plan in mind for what I would end up with. The more I made, the more I realized that I ought to decide on a plan, so that sent me to Pinterest (obvious!) and, of course, there are just so many varieties. I had in mind that I would attach block-to-block (no sashing in between). That plan changed when I saw this one with sashing, cornerstones, and a simple little outer border that really struck my fancy.
As of this moment, the 28 finished blocks are hanging precariously from my design wall. I am placing these blocks in front of other projects which explains the bit of confusion in the lower left corner. The lower right corner has a mass of electrical cords obstructing the view, but this is what happens when spilling over the edges of the design wall.
Originally, I was trying to lean to predominantly pink and navy colors. I have added in a few more - specifically gray - but I hope when I begin placing blocks, I can spread out the pinks more evenly amongst the navy. I will enjoy arranging them to suit me. The pinks are quite "loud" and I hope I can tame them with the calmer blues and grays.
Making these blocks has allowed me to create a rather efficient system, which I will share in a future post. Many tutorials are available on line, and that is where I studied various methods.
An update on my cold - I believe it wasn't a cold at all. It was allergies! I have never in my life been an allergy sufferer. Thankfully. Former coworkers and students suffered terribly, and our son is miserable each spring due to tree pollen. Mine came on as laryngitis, grew into congestion and watery, itchy eyes. I went for 10 days treating it with cold remedies. When it finally occurred to me to try an allergy medicine, the improvement was incredible. My gosh, what a discovery! I still have itchy eyes and a scratchy throat, but I am so much improved.
Today, I will finish blocks 29 and 30, then begin prepping the sashing strips and cornerstones. I also want to load another quilt on Tin Lizzie, so that might happen, too.
Happy Quilting, Friends!