Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Monday, January 3, 2011

Getting Started on a New Year

I've spent a bit of time catching up with quilting blogs that I once followed faithfully, but in my recent funk, have lost track of. (This retired English teacher knows that sentence is terribly convoluted!)

In that catching up process, I discovered something that I think sounds like a lot of fun from Barbara Brackman. She has always appealed to me in that she is such a devoted historian. The traditional quilts have always been my favorites, and for a long, long time, those were all I would ever consider making. I also have an immense interest in reproduction fabrics, so my stash is well-stocked with them. I learned that Ms. Brackman is beginning a new project, the Civil War quilt. I think I will attempt to make the weekly blocks.

A quick follow-up to my previous post:
I found another picture of my Hourglass Quilt - it's a close-up of the border fabric. The hourglass blocks become so monotonous, and I am really happy with the "zing" added by the feathery outer border. Many of you seasoned quilters will likely recognize the fabric. I suppose I've had it for 8 or 10 years. It's been waiting patiently in the stash for just this quilt.

Here are some other things I've worked on in recent months:
Mug Mats or Candle Mats. I made about 20 of these in a variety of blues, greens, reds and creams/golds. The pattern came from a Thimbleberries book from several years ago. Most were given as gifts. I grouped 4 together and gave them with a set of 4 Christmas mugs, or I gave a single one with a candle. All seem to have been appreciated.


Another Thimbleberries creation - a Christmas tablecloth. I bought a fat quarter pack of Christmas prints earlier in the fall, and on a whim, when I finished my mug mats, this pattern caught my eye, so I made it! In this picture, the back and front haven't been sewn together yet, but I love the results. And soooo easy! A bunch of 6.5-inch squares attached to a 42-inch square of off-white. I ask you, what could be easier?

One more pic of Christmas before it becomes old news:
My "grandcat," Rocky, posed for a Christmas portrait. Isn't he a pretty boy? I think you will also note the lovely backdrop: my red and beige churn dash quilt, which serves as a tree skirt. It was hand-pieced by me, and hand-quilted by my Grandma. I think DD Erin should use this pic as her Christmas card for next year, what do you think?

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Welcome back to blogging. I like that Barbara Brackman site too.