Monday, January 3, 2011

Getting Started on a New Year

I've spent a bit of time catching up with quilting blogs that I once followed faithfully, but in my recent funk, have lost track of. (This retired English teacher knows that sentence is terribly convoluted!)

In that catching up process, I discovered something that I think sounds like a lot of fun from Barbara Brackman. She has always appealed to me in that she is such a devoted historian. The traditional quilts have always been my favorites, and for a long, long time, those were all I would ever consider making. I also have an immense interest in reproduction fabrics, so my stash is well-stocked with them. I learned that Ms. Brackman is beginning a new project, the Civil War quilt. I think I will attempt to make the weekly blocks.

A quick follow-up to my previous post:
I found another picture of my Hourglass Quilt - it's a close-up of the border fabric. The hourglass blocks become so monotonous, and I am really happy with the "zing" added by the feathery outer border. Many of you seasoned quilters will likely recognize the fabric. I suppose I've had it for 8 or 10 years. It's been waiting patiently in the stash for just this quilt.

Here are some other things I've worked on in recent months:
Mug Mats or Candle Mats. I made about 20 of these in a variety of blues, greens, reds and creams/golds. The pattern came from a Thimbleberries book from several years ago. Most were given as gifts. I grouped 4 together and gave them with a set of 4 Christmas mugs, or I gave a single one with a candle. All seem to have been appreciated.


Another Thimbleberries creation - a Christmas tablecloth. I bought a fat quarter pack of Christmas prints earlier in the fall, and on a whim, when I finished my mug mats, this pattern caught my eye, so I made it! In this picture, the back and front haven't been sewn together yet, but I love the results. And soooo easy! A bunch of 6.5-inch squares attached to a 42-inch square of off-white. I ask you, what could be easier?

One more pic of Christmas before it becomes old news:
My "grandcat," Rocky, posed for a Christmas portrait. Isn't he a pretty boy? I think you will also note the lovely backdrop: my red and beige churn dash quilt, which serves as a tree skirt. It was hand-pieced by me, and hand-quilted by my Grandma. I think DD Erin should use this pic as her Christmas card for next year, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to blogging. I like that Barbara Brackman site too.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!