Friday, June 18, 2010

Mediterranean Paradise

The final leg of our journey takes us southward, past Naples (where pizza was invented), down the Amalfi Coast, to Pompeii, Sorrento and the island of Capri.

On our way to Sorrento, we will stop at Pompeii, location of the ruins left by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79AD. It is a sobering site to visit, but for history lovers, it is fascinating! A skilled guide here in Pompeii will make the story of the lost city come to life.

Mt. Vesuvius still stands regally overloooking the ruins, and tours are offered to the top where people can look down into the volcano. Some say it's just a matter of time before she once again erupts.

Sorrento is a quiet seaside resort, slower paced than the cities we've seen so far, and safe for teens to be turned loose for an evening. The shops are brightly lit and fully packed every evening - the town comes alive after 8pm.  Beaches here do not boast smooth sand; instead they are rather rocky and unappealing. The appealing part is the Mediterranean Sea - sheer beauty!

For regular readers of this blog, you might recall that a few months back I made a blue and yellow quilt that I called Sorrento. Well, here is why: the blue of the Mediterranean and the yellow of the lemons make these two colors symbolic of Sorrento, and the entire region, for that matter. A lot of the pottery produced here is blue and yellow, too. To see my quilt, click here.

The most amazingly huge lemons grow here. Some lemons I've seen here are as big as grapefruit. Limoncello is a delightfully tasty liqueur made in this region of Italy. Look at these beauties.


A short ferry right out to sea lands us on the very posh island of Capri. We have had a boat tour all around the island, and we have walked across, too, as it is only about a mile wide. There are parts of it that are very mountainous, but on these mountain tops some amazing villas have been built by the ultra rich and famous.



From here, we travel back to Rome for the last night of our trip. We board a flight to the USA in Rome, have a full day of traveling, and finally sleep in our own beds, at last.

I will report on how many yo-yos I made, and whether or not I got my 2 books read. Sometimes I can do these thing; other times I just cannot focus on them! And remember, because one of these vacation posts was my 100th, I am planning a little giveaway soon after returning home.

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!