Monday, September 14, 2020

The Week that Was

The posting has slowed down considerably, but life around here sure hasn't. For a couple of retired people living through a worldwide pandemic, we sure do seem to be busier than ever. 

 "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!" Growing up, I remember my mother saying this. I cannot remember being excessively busy - undoubtedly for her it involved 5 kids and their activities whilst being a farm wife. Gardening, canning, housework, helping Dad with the crops or the cows, taxiing us kids all over, and generally working to make a good life for us, Mom probably felt a very pronounced sense of "busy-ness" on a regular basis.

Our busy comes in the form of our both returning to our part-time jobs. I am entering my third week of classes at OU-C where I teach two Freshman Comp classes every Monday and Wednesday. DH drives a morning and afternoon bus (van) route for 15 Mennonite children in our little community who live too far from their school to travel safely by bicycle or buggy. After a summer of free and easy, do-as-you-please hours, these obligations are forcing us back to schedules. It has it's perks, but also some restraints. Jobs are like that.

On top of our return to work, we began a kitchen remodel last Tuesday. Everything from our kitchen is now stacked in the front room and dining room. (Can you envision the paths?) We are keeping the existing cabinetry, with some modifications, but all will be painted. Consequently, doors have been removed from all upper cabinets and a handful of lower ones. After all is finished, I will do a post which will contain before and after shots, but here's a look at the current situation.

Our 28-year-old kitchen is getting an update. The dropped ceiling is staying as is the cabinetry. The configuration of the wall units will be minimally changed. The central ceiling light (4 florescent tubes) will disappear, in favor of the 6 newly-installed can lights that you see. The peninsula that we used to have has been removed (see spot in the flooring), and an island will be constructed. The fridge stays - it was new last November - and a microwave, stove and dishwasher - all matching the fridge - will go in. The sink will be replaced with a farm sink and a pendant light will hang above it. All will be painted fresh farmhouse white, with new wood-look flooring.

That is the kitchen portion of this job. We are also having a utility room built in the front part of our garage, and some minor changes made to a closet and other lighting in the powder room and dining room.

Sewing? Quilting? What?? 

Yes, even with all this to divert my attention, I still escape to my sewing room and get a few things done. I finished True Blue to the flimsy stage, and work as I can on the UFO, Meadow Lily. 

I also do have a goals list for the month, and even though we are practically half-way through the month already, I am focusing on these. (And playing around with a graphics app.)


I need to sign off here and get to class. I hope you are having a great Monday!

Happy Quilting, Friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!