After four years of making a goal of using this fabric, I have finally cut it and have begun construction. This is a big deal.
If you've followed me here for very long, you may recall that I've had years worth of plans to make a quilt with this group of fabrics I bought in Winnemucca, Nevada. Here on the blog, I've referred to it often as the Winnemucca fabrics.
I sifted through years of photos on my computer to find the date I bought this fabric and LOOK!! I found the picture (above) I took in the shop on the day I bought it - June 3, 2022. Wow. I thought I'd had it longer; sure feels longer. Maybe that's what happens when year after year I fail to achieve the goal of using this little collection. Using this fabric has appeared on the goals lists for '23, '24, '25, and '26. This year it finally will be realized!
Moving in the right direction, at last! I made two significant decisions several months ago. This made the most difference in eliminating all my dithering. One was deciding on a pattern, the other was deciding to make it one of my August retreat projects.
The pattern is a weathervane block from a book I've had for years - Mulberry Lane by Teri Christophersen. I actually made this same quilt several years ago as a wedding gift, so I know it's going to go together easy-peasy. The sample block pleases me, and the floral fabric will be used for the sashing strips. It's gonna look great.
How is it possible that I will have so much fabric left over?? Sure, I didn't have any pattern in mind when I bought the fabric, and I selected a pattern with big blocks. The quilt is not overly huge at 60" x 76". I will have plenty to "play with" after I finish this one!
![]() |
| My remaining fabric! More fun sewing to do! |
Here's a link to the first quilt I made with this pattern. It was gifted to a friend's son for his marriage. Both that quilt and this one will look drastically different from the quilt pictured in the book, called Lavender Fields, but that's the beauty of quilt-making. Every quilt takes on the look from the fabrics the quilt maker selects. So many patterns and so many fabrics makes for vast, almost infinite "looks" for any given pattern.
Next up, I will share the other quilt I've cut out for retreat sewing. This one will go first, for sure.
Happy Quilting, Friends!
Jayne
.jpg)





It always feels good to finally use 'special' fabrics. Happy stitching at retreat!
ReplyDelete