In April of 2017, I bought fabric for a quilt I was chomping at the bit to make. So excited!! Lake Effect! A pattern I'd been seeing in magazines and on line - gosh I was inspired! When I bought the fabric, my thinking was that I would be able to replicate the quilt without buying the pattern. After a few months, I bought the digital pattern in this post. Soon after, I lost steam on it, ultimately determining that I'd go easy on myself - 10 years - yes, try to finish the flimsy in 10 years.
Quilt begun: April 2017
Flimsy deadline: April 2027
Actual flimsy finish: August 2026
That would be 8 months early according to my calculations. I'm over here patting myself on the back, don't cha' know!
In March, I posted from Florida that the piecing was completed (see this post) and mentioned that the four corners of applique needed to be finished off. That is what I've just completed. Whew. DONE.
It is far from a perfect quilt, but by gosh, it's done. DONE! But, please, I beg you!! Stop me before I ever consider doing another quilt like this! Tie my hands behind my back or take me needle thread away from me. What I began with enthusiasm ultimately became a project I wanted to avoid.
Now that it's done to this point, I am happy to have persevered and am able to say I did it. I do still like the suggestion of water that all those elongated hexies imply. Cold water, even. The blues are icy blue and the branches look frosted. So, yes, I like the cold, wintry image created.
Join me and other stitchers for the Slow Sunday Stitching party over at Kathy's Quilts. I've been teasing those talented ladies with this quilt for far too long!
Happy Quilting, Friends!
Jayne




Wow! Beautiful quilt top!!! I have a project I started about the same time that needs to be finished. How are you going to quilt this one? Gail at the cozy quilter
ReplyDeleteA beautiful finish! Will you quilt this yourself or have it long armed?
ReplyDelete