Friday, April 15, 2011

Cheesy Potato Casserole

The promise of recipes from the brunch I hosted about a month ago needs to be checked off my list, so here's the last one, I believe. I've already shared the Strata and the Pound Cake.

Once you make this recipe, you'll find that you really don't need a recipe! Just dump a bunch of ingredients together! If you have a little less cheese, or a little more onion, no big deal. It always disappears.

The only warning I will give is to be sure not to overbake, especially if you might be short on moisture-providing ingredients (butter or sour cream). If you do end up with a casserole that is on the dry side, my family compensates by topping with more sour cream. Whatever works! :-)

I serve this as a side dish with dinner, or with a big hearty breakfast! It can be prepared the night before, and baked in the morning, for convenience.



Cheesy Potato Casserole

Yield: 12-15 servings
Ingredients

1 package (26 oz.) frozen hash brown potatoes, slightly thawed

1 lg. container (2 lb.) sour cream

1 stick butter

2-3 c. shredded cheddar, plus a bit extra to sprinkle on top

1 small onion, chopped finely

Salt, pepper to taste

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 11x13-inch loaf pan with shortening.

2. Melt butter in very large mixing bowl. Stir in sour cream. Add cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and onion.

3. Fold in hash browns. Mix well.

4. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake approximately 40-45 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!