The big quilt I've been commissioned to make for Elisa has been weighing on my mind, so I figured I'd better just get busy on it.
I have to say that this is a quilt I am inventing as I go; consequently, I am also making decisions as I go. My original thought was that I would use 3 widths of fabric - 2 inches; 3 inches; and 3.5 inches. That is what you see above.
As I have no idea how much I need to cut, I just stopped there, and gave more thought to my process. I checked the inspiration picture that we found on Pinterest. This made me think I needed more size variety.
Back to cutting - this time doing more narrow strips - 1.5 inches, and more 2 inches. I also added more of the darker fabrics, as I understand that Elisa prefers this quilt to be darker to match her bedroom decor.
I have spent a good amount of time thinking about how I will construct this as efficiently as possible. I know that I am going to have 5 vertical sections on this quilt, which is to be king size. I estimate that I will go with 24", 18", 24", 18" and 24 ". This comes to 108". It may actually end up being slightly smaller, but still will turn out to be king size, even if it goes down to 105". I have cut all these strips into 18" and 24" segments, and now I am ready to do some power sewing.
Happy Quilting, Friends!