Thursday, January 28, 2021

2021 Quilting Goals

After exerting a whole lot of brain cells on my goals for this new year, I have at last settled on a list that is reasonably attainable. All these goal quilts can be made from my exisiting stash, with the exception of #8. Emma's description of the quilt she envisions doesn't mesh too closely with my fabric on hand. Let's review the list, shall we?


It appears I have very definite plans. Only 4 are a bit on the nebulous side: 3, 8, 11, and 12. I need (want) to make these 4 quilts, but at present which exact quilt is unknown. Sarah's wedding quilt will probably come from one I've already made and needs only to be quilted. Emma, as I mentioned earlier, has given me an idea for what she wants, but I do not have a pattern nailed down. At some point I will put together a more definitive post on her quilt.

Number 11, red and white quilt, could take on a myriad of forms - I have saved so many pictures and I have so much red fabric. I could devote a whole year just to making red quilts. Here are a couple of pictures that have inspired me to follow through with making at least one.

 

The block in this quilt is called the Anvil; I captured the pic from Instagram. With 90 anvil blocks, this seems like a daunting undertaking, but really it would be pretty simple. I could make it smaller, too, if I wanted.

Another quilt I have spent a fair amount of time studying is this one, taken from Pinterest. I do not know if there is a name or pattern, specifically, but I think I can find block patterns that would replicate this very closely. Added later: this is a pattern by Bonnie and Camille called Wish Upon a Star. Cool!


My little stash of Temecula fabric is about to be enhanced with a bundle of shirtings (coming out in March.) I definitely want to use this fabric together somehow in one quilt. The pattern will have to be traditional, and it will look very scrappy. The Hovering Hawks blocks shown below (from Instagram) would be perfect with the Temecula fabrics - quite traditional and scrappy-looking. I am drawn to this, for sure.

The Irish Chain and the Double Irish Chain are both very classic, traditional quilts. I could make one using red and white, or I could attack the scrap-busting goal with one of these. Below is an inspiration quilt that uses scraps that I found on Pinterest.

Helen Phillips, a quilter and crafter from the UK, makes gorgeous quilts that I find appealing. This subtle little beauty is featured on her blog.  It would  be an easy-peasy, scrap-busting quilt. Click the link to see her hand quilting this beauty.

So, I have a full year of quilting ahead of me, a situation I am incredibly happy about. I know there is life outside of quilting, but with stay-at-home-orders, and fear of spreading the dreaded virus, I am content to stay home, work on these beauties, and reduce the fabric stash.

Wish me luck on my '21goals!

Happy Quilting, Friends!







3 comments:

  1. You've got some beautiful projects lined up, my favorite is the red & white called Wish Upon a Star, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne,
    I have owned my Gammill for over 3 years and struggle with long arming as I found that my free-motion skills from quilting on my Bernina do not transfer easily. Recently, I have had more success after watching Jo from Jo's Country Junction on her longarm. She uses simple, uncomplicated motifs that are easy to try and master. I have found it really helpful. Check it out on her blog or Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad sewing is seeing you through all these months of stay at home 'lockdowns'. A few times I have lost my sew-jo but reading blog posts like yours help me get in the mood to sew again.
    Take care and enjoy your patchwork quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!