Thursday, January 14, 2021

Cutting Scraps

 With the price of quilting fabric getting so high in recent years, quilters are protective of their scraps. At least this one is. When cutting out a quilt, I try to conserve as much as possible, and I save pieces that some might consider discarding. Habits like mine, however, soon results in an overflow of scraps. And now, after 30-40 years of sewing and quilting, I have many boxes and tubs of scraps filling too much space in my sewing room.

Time to attack this problem!

It is not a new attack, however. I began 2020 with this same mindset, and I did make good progress. Then I stopped. My method, though, was working for me, so I am continuing it now as I return to scrap-busting.


 Whenever possible, I cut squares. I have determined that I am most likely to use 3 sizes: 2.5 inches, 2 inches, and 1.5 inches. Above is a tub of 2.5-inch squares. Some have already been sewn together in twos; they will eventually all be made into 4-patches for an as yet unknown quilt.

The 2-inch squares fill another bin - some have been stitched together (plus there's a 2-inch strip needing to be cut down).


I likewise have a tub dedicated to only the 1.5-inch squares. They are pretty small, but make a pretty block - I played around last year with these little guys, and came up with this pretty creation.

Now sometimes, the scraps I come across are bigger, and I really don't want all those 2.5-inch squares. When I happen upon larger pieces of scraps, I will cut 2.5-inch strips (like jelly rolls strips) or larger squares - 6" or 5" or 4" or 3".

The pile of strips is becoming quite large, and I really don't have a clue for using them at present. I will have to begin looking for a suitable project.

My bin of larger squares is not too full; I definitely have scraps that will be good candidates for these sizes, and since I am getting a bit overloaded with jelly roll strips. Maybe I should consider doing more of these larger squares as an alternative.


 Here are more jelly roll strips - Yikes! - that's a lot of scraps! And a lot of future quilts as yet untold!

It just so happens that I scrolled upon an Instagram pic from All People Quilt that dealt with fabric storage. I discovered to my delight that I am on the right track with some of my methods of storage. I think you might like to check it out.

I have been making pretty good headway on my newest start of 2021 - Lucy, a pattern by Carrie Nelson from her book Farmhouse Favorites. I plan to bring you up to speed on that soon. I chose a wide variety of floral fabrics for my Lucy; Sharon will be making one with me, and she has chosen French General reds and creams for her version.

Hope you are enjoying some sunshine where you are! After about 11 cloudy, dreary days in a row, we have had a couple of gloriously sunny days - so very welcome to we Ohioans!

Happy Quilting, Friends!








2 comments:

  1. Good for you getting your scraps organized! It really makes things easier when it's time to use them.
    Here are a couple of places you might look for free jelly roll patterns:
    http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2018/09/free-pattern-day-jelly-roll-quilts-part.html
    https://www.fatquartershop.com/free-quilt-patterns/free-jelly-roll-quilt-patterns

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the little 4 patch top... The alternate squares really make it come alive with the design!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!