Friday, April 12, 2024

Retreat Report #1

When a quilt retreat begins with a memorable, once-in-a-lifetime event like an eclipse, then it definitely must be recorded for posterity. We really enjoyed observing the eclipse, and while we were not in an area of totality, we did see enough to make it worth our time to watch.


In other non-sewing and non-quilting history-making news, Susan unboxed her brand new sewing machine with us! Her first ever new machine! It's a Babylock Brilliance purchased on sale through Missouri Star Quilts.


And then there was the food. Oh my goodness, what good cooks we are! We  surely ate well. The variety and quality of our meals and snacks was simply outstanding.


We really did get down to the primary business of sewing, though. For three full days and part of a fourth, we stitched and talked and puzzled and cheered each other on. 

Becky and Helen plan to make Alpine, a quilt that Sharon and I made last year. They borrowed our pattern and ruler, and proceeded to work through the cutting instructions together. Just look at this intense collaboration. Helen mostly cut her entire quilt and made one block. Becky plans to cut in the quiet of her own sewing room and read over those instructions a few more times. Yes, it is tricky, but it's entirely doable! Sharon and I encouraged them as much as we could.


 
Here's a return visit to my Alpine, made to commemorate our 2020 and 2022 trips through the Rocky Mountains. Sharon later made one with a springtime look; and then made a second one for Christmas. I sure hope Helen and Becky will stay with Alpine; it would be easy to get discouraged, but they are totally experienced enough to work it out.

I will share a tiny bit of retreat sewing - mine - a very tiny bit. On Monday, I made all the 25-patch blocks for Paris Flea Market Find. The sashing strips were cut and so were the corner blocks, so I began those, as well. By the end of Tuesday, I had all the sashing strips done. I stopped there, as I hadn't brought the necessary fabrics for the cornerstones and borders. That will be forthcoming.

My sewing on Wednesday and Thursday involved switching projects and beginning the 9-patch blocks for Tag Sale. It was fun to make such large blocks! After those endless tiny 9-patches I made in Florida, these are gargantuan!


Come back in a day or two for the second retreat report. With all the sewing and all the projects, it will be a long post filled with pictures.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!