Saving scraps seems to be a common by-product of quilting. Maybe not in the beginning, but definitely it becomes habitual the longer one quilts.
When I learned the 'stitch and flip' method of applying corner triangles, I became fanatical about saving those cutaway bits. I even began sewing them together before cutting them away -- time-savings as well as scrap-saving! Genius!
They have been accumulating and I need to get serious about using some of these HSTs. I said I saved them because they were useful, but if I never use them then just how useful are they?Now, there's a thought to ponder ...
Lately, I've been pulling out all the HSTs whenever I come across them, Usually, they are stored in zipper bags, and are stuffed in bins or drawers. I'm sure I've not pulled out all of them, but here's a good-sized pile of them.
These bags represent several really pretty quilts, and I can show you a few. One of the oldest is this Thimbleberries quilt called Star and Chain. I started it at a retreat in 2017, then finished it at the 2018 retreat. This quilt produced a boat-load of HSTs. 
Another quilt that produced an abundance of HSTs was Snow Shoo, also made in 2018. Sharon and I made this pattern together using 2 blocks - a snowball block and a shoo-fly block. That's how we came up with the name. Hers was also blue and off-white.
Here's another look at my pile of scrap HSTs. Maybe I can detect additional quilts. Yes, in fact, at least two more and both much more recent.
Both Smoked Cheddar and Cotton Ridge Farm were made last year, from very similar fabrics. There's a nice big supply of cutaways from these two quilts.


And one from just last month - The Winnemucca quilt I made at retreat. This quilt left me tons of salmon-colored HSTs and light blue HSTs. Combined with all those from these earlier quilts gives me a wide range of colors and variety.
I actually have used some scrap HSTs over the years, which ought not surprise you. I do try, you know. *wink* Both of these little quilts have materialized out of remnant cutaways from other quilts.
![]() |
| Wall hanging from Eventide remnants, a quilt made in 2014. |
![]() |
Very small topper from Cotton Ridge Farm. |
If you have stayed with me through this lengthy exposition, I confess: I do have a plan. These many bags of saved scraps will be cut down and used in a pretty quilt that I've been seeing and following over on Instagram. It's not anything I've long desired to make; it's simply appealing, and I've got the beginnings so why not go for it?
Oh yeah, I'm starting a new project. And I will show you. Promise.As I continue working on it, you will soon see some pictures.
Happy Quilting, Friends!
Jayne






No comments:
Post a Comment
Feedback on my posts is always welcome!