Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Long-Forgotten UFO

Today, as I was doodling around reading blogs, I came to one of my favorites - Quilt Times - and oh, my goodness, did Sue Abrey, the ever-friendly host of Quilt Times, take me back into the depths of UFO-land!!

Sue is wrestling with herself about starting a new project, one that many quilters consider to be one of the trickiest to make because of all the bias edges - Texas Star, sometimes also called Star of Bethlehem. I imagine there are other names, as well.

I trucked myself right upstairs to dig out my ancient UFO - Broken Star. I estimated to Sue that I began this around 1990. The copyright on the book indicates that I am pretty darn close to my estimate.


You see, even though this UFO is over 20 years old, I still knew exactly the book to grab to find the pattern!


So, was it just as easy to locate the project??


Take a look up there on the top shelf. See that bin on the left with the colorful stripes?


Yes, that's the one; almost touching the ceiling, isn't it??

Let's take it down and examine the contents. How far did I get on this thing anyway??


Well, it sure looks neat and tidy. Pressed nicely. What's under this layer?


Hah! Actual diamonds!! I'd gotten further along on this than I remembered! What a pleasant little discovery!

I commented to Sue that I would possibly be compelled to start back to work on this if she commits to beginning the project she is pondering. Hers is a more traditional Texas Star or Star of Bethlehem. Mine is jazzed up a bit. It's called Broken Star.



So, what do you think? Should Sue start the project she is so reluctant to start? Should I stitch along with her and finish up this old UFO?

I had to laugh at her return comment to me; she said, " I need this project like a hole in the head, but I'm going to have to do it I think." We quilters just don't know what's good for us, do we???

C'mon, Sue!! I'm in if you're in!!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should both work on the stars. What lovelies you'll have to show off when you're done. I'll put up my feet, pour a mug of something, and read about your fun :)
    Can't say I'll never make one, but it's way down on my list. I'm a chicken when it comes to diamonds and bias edges.
    Good luck ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!