Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A Party

When life gets really crazy with a variety of activities and obligations what's the best thing to do? Schedule one more thing, right? Then, at the last minute, doesn't it make sense to decide that you need a new table runner to accent your décor? So, you go to your stash and make one?

Yeah, that's what I'd do.

For about 6 weeks, I have known that I had a party coming up. Norwex - are you familiar? It's a company that sells environmentally friendly cleaning products through home parties (a lot like Tupperware from the 80s). As I prepared for my party, I brought out my fall quilts, table toppers and wall hangings. I didn't have very many. So I decided on Saturday to make a long table runner for a Tuesday night party.

Crazy, I know, but I was not to be deterred. I planned to keep it very simple, and be very casual about using stash fabrics in all the colors associated with fall. Below is a representative picture of my fabric pull.


Most of the fabrics started out as fat quarters, and most had been cut into for various scrappy quilts over the years - and I'm talking years. Like more than 30 for a few of these.

I cut 3.5-inch squares and stitched randomly. I tried not to overthink anything, as time was of the essence.


I pulled the fabric, cut and sewed the 5 rows x 15 rows together on Saturday. Sunday evening I selected the backing, sandwiched the layers, and quilted it. And late that same night, I put on the binding. Ta-da! Finished in no time!


My original thought was that I would use this runner on my kitchen table, but it looked so good down the length of my counter top (which serves as a bar on the other side) that I changed my plan.

And for the Norwex party, which was last night, here's how it looked covered up with appetizers.



My party was well-attended with 20 guests. They were generous with their orders, which means I earn lots of free products, so that makes me happy. And after all the clean-up, I am left with a new table runner for my fall décor. Below is the crowd smooshed into my family room and dining area.


I had quite a lot of leftover goodies. I sent DH off on his bus route this morning with two boxes of cupcakes to share with the teachers and children in the Mennonite school. I am anxious to hear how that was received.

Making a table runner was not even on my radar for this month, but I am glad to have deviated from that to-do list. Now, I must get back on task and finish a few of those WIPs (works in progress) that have been gathering dust.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Nice table runner. Never heard of Norwex before. Have great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are a woman after my own heart. So glad to hear and see that it all came together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!