Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Donation


Two weeks ago, I had a call from my (non-quilting) friend, Judy, who volunteers at our local Christian Center. This center takes in and distributes gently used clothing and household items to those in need, and manages food distribution, as well. Judy's call concerned a recent donation they'd received -- three bags of quilt fabric. Would I be interested in it?

After driving into town to have a look, I determined that I was NOT going to take any of it. My closets are already full-to-bursting. However, the fabric was worth saving and using. I knew there had to be a group devoted to making charity quilts that would love having a chance at using this fabric.




The fabric was clean, folded neatly, and in good condition. I could tell that this quilter/crafter had known what she was doing. The pieces were somewhat dated - like maybe they'd been purchased in the 1970s and 1980s. The quality was acceptable, if not top-of-the-line. Many of the prints were themed: holiday, patriotic, baby, juvenile. The photos above provide some indication of the types and amounts. Additionally, I found a small stack of pre-cut squares and circles, no doubt abandoned projects.

I reached out via Facebook for suggestions on groups interested in taking a donation of fabric for charitable efforts. Many friends offered suggestions and provided me with names and numbers. It is so gratifying to know of the good souls who care about helping out those in need. All were worthy, however, I handed off the fabric to the first group with whom I had successful contact.

Touching Little Lives, Inc. is a central Ohio charity located out of Groveport. Their Facebook page indicates that they are a non-profit whose mission, supported entirely by volunteers, is to provide for babies in need. They donate handmade quilts, afghans and clothing to major hospitals and other support agencies. I am thrilled to have been able to save this fabric for an organization such as this.

Maybe someday after I stop working, I will dedicate more time to doing good work for others. At present, time just does not permit it. I would like to think that my little part in this larger picture has been a godsend to someone.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


 



1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the group was thrilled to receive 3 bags of free fabrics for quilts! You did a good deed by taking the time to look for a charity to receive it and then passing it along.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!