I have been missing in action so far this new year, so let's officially welcome in 2021, shall we?
So, I entered the new year dealing with a sinus infection that just would not stop. I feel as though I have totally lost the last week. We have been good quarantine-minders, and stayed away from everyone (sniff!). We found a 1000-piece puzzle to work on while watching various bowl games. We were happy to see our Buckeyes win on Friday night, and the Browns win on Sunday.
Even though I wasn't up to doing much sewing, I did have a bright idea somewhere along the line, and I had blocks ready to stitch when the sinus headache finally relented. The block exchange we did in the Frankfort Girls group resulted in this beauty being finished off yesterday.
I had the idea that I would use an easy HST block that resulted in a light/dark secondary design. I dug in the stash for a suitable HST combination and pulled the two ancient pieces you see above. I couldn't even begin to date those two pieces; they have been in the stash for a very long time.
My resulting quilt top measures 68" square. I am undecided at the moment about adding borders. I will take a few days to decide. Here are some close-up shots of the flimsy.
The idea for this design came from some pictures I'd saved on Pinterest. I am glad I took the time to consider a variety of options because I am very pleased with how this turned out. It did require making a few extra churn dashes to complete the design. I also had to do some mathematics (!) to figure out the 8 setting squares where the light/dark design turned the corner. Totally worth it.
And just to document that we did it, here's the puzzle we worked; begun on New Year's Eve and finished on January 2.
Happy Quilting, Friends!