Sunday, September 5, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

I'm back to working on Lake Effect. The leaves are done, and now we tackle the berries. Dozens of them! So to work.

We are not here to point out flaws, but future berries will be stitched with red thread. I was too lazy to dig around for it when I last worked on these. I also have much room for improvement in the 'round' department. *grin*

Even though I have had wonderful success with the back-basting method, in the interest of learning new techniques, I tired the starch method of applique preparation. Last week, I attended a nearby guild meeting at which the topic shared by the guest speaker was starch applique. I thought it only fitting that I give it a whirl. (Yes, I am planning a post on the speaker/guild visit.)


 


Once before I tried this method and had these Perfect Circles to use, so I dug 'em out and proceeded.


I really did enter into this with an open mind, but I am sticking with back basting. I have had good success with it and there's a lot less time and mess involved. This photo shows a few berries made, four more ready to starch and a grouping of supplies. I know if I practiced, I'd get the hang of it, but do I need to mess with a good thing? Not at this stage of my quilting career!

Even though the berries are a bit misshapen, I will use them. In nature, some berries are imperfect, right? When looking at the finished quilt full-on, the berry shapes will not concern anyone.

Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday! I am linking with Kathy, as usual, for her weekly hand-stitching party. Go have a look!

Happy Quilting, Friends!







8 comments:

  1. Oh, I see a lot of misshapen berries, in nature. Gosh, that is a lot of berries to stitch. But they do add lovely interest to your beautiful quilt. Enjoy stitching those itty bitty circles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of berries, and rather than think about how many there are, I will instead focus on just doing one at a time (sorta' like taking one step at a time).

      Delete
  2. Aah looks great Jayne and oh yes I always love the misshappen berries in nature too. You are doing a fabulous job , my dear. Happy quilting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melisa! I will finish this applique yet!!

      Delete
  3. The red berries add some zing to your applique. I use Karen's perfect circles all the time and still my circles aren't perfect. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need more practice with those Perfect Circles in order to achieve proficiency!!

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!