Saturday, September 11, 2021

Fall Is In The Air

Sometimes I take a notion just to make a block I have never made before. One that I wanted to do last fall was the Maple Leaf block in fall colors, and I just never did it. 

Well, about a week ago that notion once again got hold of me, and this time I followed through. I have absolutely no plan in mind for the two blocks I made, but I like them and I think I will make a few more.


Now, you know what I sometimes like to do with random blocks I make. I test them out in a photo editing app to see how they'd look in an entire quilt.

For a table topper or a wall hanging, four blocks would be sufficient. 

Take that 4-block arrangement and drop it into a bigger grid, and you'd see what a bed-size quilt would look like.


I could also turn them in different directions as an alternative. Sometimes this provides something worthwhile, but in this case, the leaves are almost entirely lost.


In the larger grid, I see an interesting design, but not leaves, necessarily. I won't entirely dismiss these last two options, because if I played around with some sashing strips and cornerstones, they might be winners. As is, though, I'm not overly impressed. But it was fun to see what designs came out of such playing around.

Do you experiment in the sewing room? What interesting things happen when you do?

The leaf block was made from Lori Holt's Farm Girl Vintage book. My fabrics are just a bunch of random pulls from the fat quarter dresser drawers. Most are old and have been cut into previously. The background is leftover Grunge from the quilt I made for Emma.




Happy Quilting, Friends!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!