Sunday, August 27, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

In my last post, I promised to bring you a full-on view of my recently completed quilt. It felt really good to finish a quilt as big as this one, and I hope you will agree that it is one meant for showing off. I don't mean showing off in  a bragging sort of way;  I mean, this top has been hanging in a closet unquilted for 13 years. It was well overdue for a coming out party.

I mostly quilted this on Monday-Tuesday, and then attached the binding on Wednesday. Each day since, I have been hand stitching the binding, and even at 96" x  114" it did not ever seem daunting. That's a lot of stitching, and I finished off the last bit yesterday in the car.

We spent the day in Columbus seeing Cate, and this was just perfect for finishing while heading up there.

I also promised to include details about this Thimbleberries pattern. 


Lynette Jensen's name for her quilt is Patchwork Snowflake, and as an homage to that, I've called mine Snowflakes at Dusk. The grayish tones in my background fabrics brings to mind a twilight evening with snow blowing on a northerly wind.

Jensen's blocks are made with a variety of colors; I opted to use a single navy paisley for mine. I am glad I made this choice, and believe it or not, I am actually considering making this pattern again -maybe a smaller version - and if I do, I will have a variety of colored snowflake blocks.

My backing does a great job of masking all manner of sins; some of my meanderings got a bit herky-jerky in places, but no worries! Mostly impossible to see!

None of the pictures here adequately show the pretty paisley I used for my setting and corner triangles. It shows up somewhat blurred above. See a clearer pic from the last post.

Yes, I'm linking up with Kathy's Quilts for the weekly Slow Stitching party. I've not participated lately, as I've not been doing much slow stitching (or any stitching at all, really). Check out what all the talented stitchers are creating!

Before I close, I will share one photo of darling Cate, who is 10 months old! Oh my goodness, she is so much fun; crawling fast, walking around furniture she can hold onto; crawling up the steps! My gracious, she is constant motion! And such a very happy baby.

Now you know why my quilting has lagged; I spend as often possible days, afternoons or evenings at our  daughter's house!

HappyQuilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt is so lovely! I bet too you're a happy girl, so nice the quilt finally came out of the closet. Catie is a cutie, very understandable why you like to spend time at your daughter's home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could visit my granddaughter as often as you do. Cate is adorable. Snowflakes at Dusk is beautiful. I am so glad it is finally finished after 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff! Lovely quilt. Nice to check off another on your list. Baby is so cute. Love her toothless grin. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!