Monday, February 12, 2024

Change Of Pace

 I am still working my way through the tub of 1.5-inch squares with the goal of making 9-patch blocks. Here's how the tub look when I started.


The tub also contained a good number of 1.5-inch strips which I mostly have not yet touched. I say mostly because I did use a couple of the lighter neutral strips. My grand total so far is 194 9-patch blocks  - all from the little squares in this tub. See them below in stacks of 10; they are a thing of beauty!

Most of my 9-patches are pretty; I mean that the colors or fabrics work nicely together. Complimentary, in other words. However, several look quite bizarre, and I would never, ever use the combinations together in an actual planned quilt. Since these blocks are all made from leftovers and the purpose is a scrappy quilt, then the occasional "ugly" block is permissible and expected. When one limits the options to just the squares available, the definition of a "pretty" block gets stretched quite a bit.

So, my title today says change of pace; let me share what I mean. Because I have gotten to the sad and scrappy bottom of the barrel of the 1.5-inch squares, I can no longer come up with '5 darks and 4 lights' with which to create a 9-patch. I can, though, make 4-patches. These will work right in with a collection of 4-patches I have worked on back home - a 'Leaders and Enders' effort. I brought all those with me, so I have scads of 4-patches as well as scads of 9-patches.

It was fun coming up with these simple combinations; the resulting block (2.5") is such a perfect size for some yet-to-be-determined project. I've made more than what you see above! Check out the stacks below! All told, I believe I've made about 100. This is definitely the way I will continue to use up the bits I'm having trouble using in 9-patches. It's much easier to make a 4-square combination than a 9-square combination.

I continue to follow Taryn over on Instagram as she leads quilters through her fun little sew-along called Tiny Nine Patch Challenge. Some of those participants are using 1/2-inch squares! That's too small for me! I ought to make one just to show the difference. Others are using 1-inch squares. I am content to go no smaller than 1.5-inches. 

It won't be long until I need to put these away for awhile, as my sewing room will be turned into a guest room! Sharon is coming for a visit! Yes! Isn't that grand? Can't wait!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the 9 and 4 patches. I have 43 made. I thot I was doing good! I was given a box of 1 1/2 inch sqs! Yippee! But there are no duplicates, so many of my blocks have 9 different fabrics. The colors coordinate so they look alright. I sorted it all for a day before sewing until I ran out of pins. Each patch pinned together ready to go. Better get at it :o)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!