Saturday, February 3, 2024

January Recap

 February 3 is not too late to do a wrap-up of last month. It was a busy month and I probably could have made two collages, but forced myself to do just the one.

TOP ROW: On the first of the month we made one last trip to see granddaughter Cate before heading south. She adores her Pappaw Kevin and he definitely returns that sentiment. Once here in Floral City, we reacquainted ourselves with the lake at the end of our street. For the most part, it's been a cooler than normal month, but sunshine makes up for that. We have worked hard to create a comfy home, including thrifting key pieces of furniture such as my newly-painted sewing desk which resides in the guest room.

MIDDLE ROW: DD Erin sends us many pictures of Cate, and from afar we are watching her grow. A happier child I have never seen. She just delights in everything. The newest member of our family arrived  this month with the birth of McKenzie Mae. My nephew Will is a proud papa for the second time, as his firstborn, Archie, is now 2. That woman reclining in the chair is yours truly. I am in the ER preparing to be stitched up. I cracked my forehead after falling on the sidewalk outside our front door. Man, I went down hard. It was dark and a piece of furniture just jumped out of nowhere and tripped me! *grin* A cat scan showed that my "brain is fine," and I got the stitches out yesterday, a week after the fall. I have very little bruising; I did ruin my glasses, however.

BOTTOM ROW: The barn quilt is the only true quilting finish I have for the month of January, but technically I don't think it qualifies. My goal of stitching scraps is working out well; I have over 100 tiny 9-patch blocks done, and still I have a lot of 1.5-inch squares to do. It'll be interesting to see just how many I will have out of my little stash of scraps. The final image is of my mom holding McKenzie Mae, her new great-granddaughter. Isn't that a precious picture??!!

In a previous post I mentioned that I felt like I was becoming bored with all those scrappy little 9-patches. Listening to an audio book helps keep the boredom at bay, however. I have been listening to To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, a book I taught years ago in sophomore English. I am so glad to be listening to this as it feels like a brand new story to me. I had forgotten so much of it. My motive for rereading: I want to read Go Set A Watchman, the sequel which came out in 2015, 55 years later. Because it had been so long since I'd read TKAM, it made good sense to refresh my memory before delving into GSAW

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!