Saturday, March 16, 2024

Scrappy 4-Patches

Whenever I find a few minutes to sew, I’m working my way through the vast, seemingly bottomless tub of 2.5-inch strips and squares.

Over the past 4-5 years, I've made a concerted effort to "manage" the excess of leftover fabrics from old projects. The best management method I have found has been to cut remnants into typical or standard-sized parts for quilts. The 2.5-inch square and strip are about as standard as it gets in quilt making; consequently I have loads of fabrics cut in these sizes.

Above and below is a tub of completed 4-patches. These were all made with strips that I sewed together and then subcut into 2.5-inch units that I then sewed together for the 4-patch. As a result, I have stacks of 4-patches with the same 2 fabrics which will be very nice for a "controlled scrappy" quilt.

I have some very bright combinations as well as many subdued combinations. I can see some children's/baby quilts for the bright 4-patches; I can see a more traditional scrappy quilts using the darker reproduction fabrics.

Behind my machine is a big pile-up of strip sets. I pair up two fabrics and chain-sew them together one after another. When I get in the mood to subcut them, I stop chaining, and move on to cutting and pressing.

I have plenty of subcuts ready to press and also ready to sew. It seems that whatever I'm in the mood for, I have a stack of that waiting for me. I've got all the bases covered.

Sew long strips? ✅ Cut subunits? ✅ Press subunits? ✅ Sew subunits? ✅ Press finished 4-patch? ✅

I am surely going to be glad to get home to begin sewing on something other than scraps. While this has been a suitable endeavor for me while snowbirding in Florida, it definitely lacks variety. Gratefully, we have been busy doing all the 'fun-and-sun' activities, so dull sewing hasn't been anywhere near burdensome. And, face it -- I will be so glad to have actually made an effort at using these bazillions of bits salvaged from the scraps and remnants from 40+ years of sewing.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

Jayne

2 comments:

  1. Making 4 patches and 9 patches are a good go and stop project while in Florida. When do you plan to return to Ohio? Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are heading back this weekend. Traveling on Easter, very possibly. I hate to leave, but I am so ready to get back to my normal life in Ohio.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!