Saturday, March 9, 2024

Done With Little 9-Patches

On the first of March, I officially quit working with1.5-inch squares. I'd spent about 6 weeks digging around in these small scraps of fabrics to make 9-patch blocks, and I very nearly used them all. 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjYGIektoeL6yWxKtGfEfI85e7-Rb4U36XxpTx5vHxgh79JwNl8COSoYMIz7gOAoC9IXtc1VmKPNatTrkRvzX1FaG1F9YoHYX1Qyiq5MFKkh0ug2dWwGw7sapSbs5EQ2p2UKNh1w-LLEuon80we1MP1BZULMH1UN8Dp3NfBDmDNzoFwJCRXGt93EXlzqw/s640/IMG_8130(2).jpg 

My tub was full and running over when I began. Now it is empty, and I have 402 9-patch blocks to show for my efforts. Additionally, I made about 100 4-patch blocks, in the hopes that I could use them all. This picture of an empty tub is truly one I am celebrating. I thought I'd never see the bottom!

However daunting the task, I did stay with it and I'm really glad that I did. There is some future quilt waiting to be made out of these blocks, and I will be so glad I have this tedious part of the process finished. HINT: That floral fabric under all those blocks might be involved in whatever quilt comes next.

Next on my agenda is to work with 2.5-inch scraps. My supply of squares and strips cut to 2.5-inches absolutely dwarfs the 1.5-inch tub. Gracious! This is a very common go-to size, though, so I admit that I've prepared more in this size than in any other. Wish me luck!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

Jayne

6 comments:

  1. Having all those 9 patches pieces will be a blessing when it's time to sew the quilt body together. She'll be a real cutie! Working with the 2.5" blocks are going to be so much easier, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know I will be glad that I've done this step with all these scraps. I find myself constantly thinking about what sort of quilt they will become.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Jayne. They will come in handy for a number of things...maybe even a border sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the border idea! That is one I must keep in mind!

      Delete
  3. I'm still plugging away with my patches. I have cut the sqs and triangles and it's all up on my wall. I've pinned up all my patches but I still need about 150 more. Yikes. I've also been working on a ufo to get a break. Don't want to stop but it's getting tedious. I've picked the 3 1/2 inch block. Can't imagine doing the tiny one. Looking forward to what you come up with for your patches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tedious, indeed. I totally found that to be the case. However, I also had frequent interruptions with fun non-sewing activities; I always looked forward to getting back to the sewing machine when the time presented itself.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!