Monday, February 11, 2013

Into Each Life...

...some sadness must fall. And sadness has certainly found its way to me. Early Sunday morning, my young friend and former student, Alexis, died. At age 22, she had fought a long, tough year against cancer.

You may recall the flannel quilt that Sharon and I made for her last February and March. This is the flimsy; I don't seem to be able to find a picture of it quilted. Anyway, we gave it to her to keep her warm through her chemo treatments and to cuddle in when she felt the blahs.

As I look back at this post, I realize that it is just a year to the day since she had her cancer surgery. There was much hope after that surgery that all cancer was removed, but by the end of summer, suspicious things began appearing on the scans, and her cancer had spread. This past year has been one of many ups and downs for her and her family, with the end coming peacefully in the early morning hours Feb. 10. 

The cancer she had was epithelial sarcoma; it was a tumor on the back of her neck, just under her left ear, as I recall. Her parents were so good to remain upbeat and optimistic throughout this ordeal. Her mother sent out (mostly) weekly 'Alexis Updates' in a mass email to friends and family. They are an amazing family. And now they've lost their sweet daughter, and I cannot imagine the grief.

Here is the obituary from the Chillicothe Gazette. I'm sure her family would appreciate a little prayer, if you are so inclined.

Happy Quilting, Friends!








3 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, Alexis fought a courageous battle. It isnso difficult to loose someone so young with such a bright future ahead of them. My prayers go out to her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a tragedy to lose someone that young with a whole life ahead of her. Wishing her family strength to get through the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My DD is about that age... what unspeakable sadness.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!