Thursday, July 16, 2020

A New Beginning

I will tell you a little secret: I love living out here in the country.


We have trees all around us and wide open skies; our little 15 acres of rural Ohio suits us perfectly. I have said on more than one occasion, "I love living here!"


When I gaze at that crystal blue sky with the bright green leaves in the foreground, I think "I oughta' make a quilt in these colors." This combination of blue and green is so fresh and sparkly.

And that idea is now coming to fruition with my newest start.

For some time now I have had a Layer Cake of Summer Breeze by Moda. I know there are lots of Summer Breeze versions - 1, 2, 3, 4, and maybe more - mine had been sorta' nagging at the back of my mind to be used for something. I actually referenced it in this post from June 2019.

These ideas/notions/hankerings have to simmer awhile before any action can occur.  Action has now been taken, as of last Friday.
Bug hunk of backing fabric; I took the entire bolt-over 6 yds.
When I picked up my Berninas from Old Town Fabric Shop, I checked out their clearance table, and what should I see??? Why, yes, Summer Breeze yardage.

I do believe this is the proverbial aligning of the stars.

So, by gosh, I started a new quilt. I don't have a pattern. I have only the vaguest of plans. From the 10" squares in the Layer Cake, I made hourglass blocks.

From the half-yard cuts, I plan to make setting blocks. I need to do the math to see how many I can get from the yardage, and proceed with constructing the quilt top.

Here are some shots of my hourglass blocks and the accent pieces to go with them



This picture shows the half-yard cuts in the bottom of the shot. They are all florals, 3 with blue background; one of yellow background, and one of cream background. Also tucked into that corner is a piece of solid green. I see way more blue and yellow and not enough green. I think I will use that solid green as an inner border. I need to measure things so I can be more decisive; just haven't gotten that far along in the process yet, I suppose.

Big blocks; simple design; fast quilt. It doesn't have to be fancy and involved to be pretty.


So many good things about this: another bit of the stash will be used up; I get a quilt that makes me think of our beautiful property - bright blue skies accented against lush, leafy green trees; fast, easy quilt that requires little thinking and planning and figuring.  

Sharon will be here today; we have not sewn together for a month! Our vacation and another conflict on Sharon's side, has kept us apart. There will be much to catch up on, and while we chatter away, I will trim those hourglass blocks.

Hope you have an awesome day!
Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Some special quilts have they're own easy way... and they're often the most cherished :) ENJOY, Jane !
    In stitches,
    xoxo
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Summer Breeze line! I used an Summer Breeze layer bake this summer in a quilt too. Your quilt is going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!