Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Needing Direction

I find myself at that troublesome space between projects when I am filled with indecisiveness as to what to work on next. This very unsettled space sneaks up on me from time to time; it's an uncertain feeling, lacking direction as to what to work on next.

Thankfully, I have several places to which I can turn when this vague feeling presents itself. First, I checked my goals list from the beginning of the year. I also wrote down some goals in my Quilter's Planner, so by looking over both lists, I have some strong ideas taking shape.


I also perused several quilt books and files for some inspiration. I specifically searched 3 of the notebooks shown below - Quilt Patterns; Bags, Baskets, Purses, Pouches; and Block Patterns.


This morning I took yet another stab at inspiration. It seemed a good idea to examine some of the project tubs stored under my cutting table. Looking at all these areas usually culminates in something "clicking" for me.


Seeing this method of organizing projects may give the impression of my being ultra-organized. However, while I considered the contents of some of these tubs, I found it is not foolproof; I discovered an obvious error in storage and labeling.


I had one tub labeled "Larkspur" - a gorgeous line of fabric by 3 Sisters/Moda. I also found another unlabeled tub of the same fabric line. Huh?? How does this happen? Turns out I have a whole bunch of Larkspur! Yay!


I combined the contents into one tub. I found that in one of the tubs, I had also inserted a free Moda pattern for the Larkspur line. Maybe this ought to be something I get started on? I sure do love the fabric, and there appears to be plenty of variety for making the quilt. This is on the list, for sure.




My labeling system is unusual. Several were labeled simply "Pleasing Fabric Combo." Whaaaat? I have a tendency to pull fabrics that work nicely together and if I have no pattern in mind, I store them with the idea that a pattern will eventually present itself for that particular combination.


Well, whadya' know!  This has actually happened!

One quilt I have a strong desire to make is this churn dash quilt called "Feed Sacks: True Blue." (Terry was cutting for this pattern earlier this month, and we talked about sewing it concurrently. Click here and scroll to the very last picture.) Anyway, I think this particular blue and red "pleasing fabric combo," along with more blue fabrics pulled from the stash, will do nicely in this pattern. Now I have another probable upcoming project.


One last idea . . . . Looking through the books last evening, I encountered a quilt I have already made - Plan C by Carrie Nelson. The pattern is in her book, Schnibbles Times Two. Scroll through my 2012 Finishes for my earlier version.


If I used this little collection of Summer Breeze fabric in that precut-friendly pattern, I believe I would have quite a beauty. It is not a big quilt, and as I recall making my first Plan C, it is really fast in how it comes together. I like it, and I think I will do it.

Larkspur, Plan C, and True Blue are very strong possibilities for me in the next few weeks and months. I have some more to tell you about, but they fall into the UFO category. I will share those tomorrow.

I believe I am going to get focused very, very soon!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


2 comments:

  1. planners do not work for me - I always end up working on too many things at a time and wish I could plan better - now that the summer is getting hot and humid I will be in the sewing room more and less time on the porch - love all your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 3 quilts, all lovely! I'm enjoying all your current blogging, thanks! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!