Friday, July 31, 2020

Quilters Helping Quilters

Over the years that I've been keeping this blog, I have had interactions with others that would not have been possible had it not been for this platform. Just in these past few weeks, I have had another encounter I would like to share.

Just after we got home from our road trip out west, my email inbox contained a message from a woman who in her closing identified herself as a "quilter in distress." Here is an excerpt from her message:

  • For the last 10+ years I’ve been working on a hexagon quilt using reproduction fabrics that I have been collecting for years. I have finally got all the Hexie-rosettes placed and realized I’ve run out of a key fabric!

    In desperation I turned to google for the hunt. I found a blog of yours from Wed. 11-Jul-2018 that had this fabric in your stash. Do you have any of this fabric left that I can purchase from you?
Here's the post to which she referred. I was working on Blockheads 2 at the time. I never got very far in the BH2 sew-along, but here of late have entertained the notion of going back to it.

But I digress. As far as Lynn from Canada is concerned (that's how I have referred to her in my head), let me finish the story. She sent a picture of the fabric she needed.


We had a few back-and-forth emails; I did find said fabric and had a good bit of it available. I looked over my BH2 progress to see if I would miss this fabric if I sent it away. I had used it a couple of times, so it would not be missed; I sent what I had to Lynn. Having been a "quilter in distress" myself a few times over the years, I couldn't NOT help her out. I couldn't even imagine telling her no.


And now let me share the happy ending to this story. Lynn has received the fabric; she sent these pictures.


Meet Lynn! In one hand she is holding the tiny bit that she had left of her fabric. In the other hand is the bit I sent to her. Yay! I am so glad to have helped her out. I know all too well the feeling of needing a certain fabric and not having any way of getting more. I'm sure many of you can relate, right?


This photo shows Lynn's hexie project; the rosettes using this particular P&B Textile fabric are located in the outer row. This is so pretty! What a labor of love! Here is an excerpt from Lynn in Wednesday's email:
  • Fabric received!  With this I have enough fabric to fussy-cut the remaining hexies.  In total I need 20 rosettes.  I attached a couple of pics. Holding in my left hand the remains of my own fabric, right hand your contribution. Also included is a pic of the quilt corner where the fabric is used. I can’t give you an overall pic of the quilt because I want to enter it in a competition... in about 2 years. All done be hand.
Lynn, I am glad to have been able to help out a fellow quilter. Good luck in your competition! You are creating a beautiful quilt; it's already a winner in my book. If you can remember two years from now, let me know how your quilt fared and send along a full-on picture.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. What a delightful tale about sharing, caring and kindness. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn's quilt is a beauty! Looking at makes me want to start a hexie quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so much fun to help out another quilter "in need"! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!