Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Journal Cover

Since before Christmas I have been thinking about making journal covers. I've seen some gorgeous ones on Pinterest, and have collected several patterns (all free) off the internet. The patterns I have, however, seemed so complicated and the illustrations didn't illustrate very well, in my opinion.

Yesterday, I just decided I'd make up my own pattern. I mean really, how hard could this be? A simple rectangular-shaped bookcover is not an overly challenging project. Here is my first attempt. Not the prettiest journal cover ever constructed, but I know how I am going to improve upon this model in my next attempt.

Its flaws are obvious. Next time, instead of applying the striped embellishment to the cover, I will sew the cover in three pieces--the top 2 inches, the 1-inch stripe, and the lower 5 or 6 inches. Then I probably will avoid all the crookedness that resulted in this attempt.

I used this type of journal. It measures 9.75" by 7.5".

To provide a bit of stability and strength, I lined it with flannel.

This shows the amount of inside pocket I used. Actually, this was a given, as I used a fat quarter and was limited to the width. This made measuring a non-issue.

The only thing I have left to do on this is to whipstitch the tops and bottoms of each pocket. I did it my machine but had to rip it out as the pocket was too snug to fit over the journal. I will have to make some adjustments on my next one to allow for the small amount of bulk that this will create.

Well, there you go. My feeble attempt at a journal cover. Feel free to make suggestions. I have 11 more of these theme books to cover, so I should be able to come up with an acceptable cover in 12 tries!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!