Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Trying Something New

Quilters are often asked to make things for others. I am sure that non-quilters are mystified by the quilting process, and look to someone who can do it, and who enjoys doing it, to turn vague ideas into reality.

I am beginning one such project. I have  been given a bag full of plaid men's work shirts, and have taken on the task of making two throw quilts for a friend. It is hard to imagine what to do when you have this to begin with:


 I searched the internet to see what I could learn about deconstructing men's shirts. I recalled that I knew Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville's Quips and Snips derived some of her fame and popularity by using men's shirts to create beautiful scrap quilts. I searched her name on You-Tube and found a 15-20-minute video on "de-boning" men's shirts. That guided me, but I soon gave up some of the fussier stuff she recommended. Her goal was to get every bit of fabric out of each shirt; my goal is to get enough to make 2 throw quilts. I think 27 shirts will be plenty, especially if I augment those with some solids I have on hand.


I have all 27 shirts cut apart and separated into piles - long sleeves, short sleeves, fronts, backs. The cuffs, button plackets, neck bands and collars are all separated, too, but I will likely not use them on this project unless I have to.

This is my project for quilt camp, and what I spent 4 hours working on yesterday. I will be heading back to Chillicothe today for Quilt Camp Day 2. Everyone is just starting their projects, so I didn't bother to take pictures, but I will definitely be recording all the wonderful creations stitched up this week.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


3 comments:

  1. I have had my eye on both my Dad's & my husband's shirts to make a couple of lap quilts from. Well, my poor Dad died yesterday so I will be able to make a start when I feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie Hunter has many wonderful quilt ideas so I am not surprised you were able to find a tip on her YouTube.

    I have never made a quilt from garments before but I have seen some amazing ones in blogland.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!