Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Catching Up - Veterans' Day Sewing

For quite a few years - like over 20! - my friend Sherrie has hosted all the Frienzies and a few more friends for a long day of sewing when we all had Veterans' Day off. That was back when we all worked as teachers; now we are (nearly) all retired, but she still hosts this day.

Sewing for me that day involved finishing my Chock Full O' Charms quilt. I was really focused on it and did, indeed, finish the borders late in the day.

When I began sewing for the day, all 8 charm packs were sewn together in straight rows which you see above draped over a table. The fabric is Rachel Remembered by Betsy Chutchian/Moda. The next step was to mark the cutting lines, stay-stitch on either side of the cutting lines, cut, then reposition and sew back together on point.

Cutting this quilt is a nerve-wracking proposition, let me tell you. I was more than a little reluctant to do it, but I trusted the pattern's directions, checked and double checked my numbers, and did it.

With no problems, whatsoever! It was great! And it came together perfectly.

The three parts are laid out above, but it's really hard to see where the joining parts are. Use the picture above to see the first part, and then you can probably figure out where the 3 parts are.

After the 3 parts were assembled, I added a narrow inner border (the only part that isn't Rachel Remembered; it's just a neutral from my stash) and that fabulous navy floral outer border. I love it!


Sharon sewed her Chock Full O' Charms, too, and is still in the straight stitching of rows phase of construction. I know she is feeling like this will never end, as 8 charm packs is a lot of sewing!  Her fabric is Luna Notte by 3 Sisters/Moda.

Susan came with pattern and fabric for a messenger bag. She did some of the work with us, but had to leave before completing her bag. Later she sent this picture of her finish.


Sherrie worked on a Christmas quilt and made Christmas trees in the midst of her hostessing duties.  She later sent this picture of her growing forest of trees. Her pattern is in the upper corner of the picture.

Finally, Kay came with a sweet project made from a panel of Christmas scenes she was making into a quilt. I referenced this quilt in my last post, as she gave me an extra panel and I have made my own version. Kay had a real pattern and was piecing the alternate blocks. It looks pretty! Those pieced blocks are complicated, though, and I am glad I didn't have the pattern or I would never have made my quick version (see previous post).

The pieced alternate block.

The pattern from Henry Glass Co.
Linda was with us for the day, but I do not have a picture of her work on a jelly roll rug. Lyn came, as well, as an ardent supporter of the stitchers. *smile*

This has been a very abbreviated synopsis of our day. Every day spent with this group, the Freinzies, is a great day. My bonus was getting my quilt top finished off.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Love how your charm quilt came together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to spend a day! I am intrigued with the chock full o' charms technique. Just downloaded the pattern. Cutting my own squares should use up some of these scraps that are threatening my sanity. (I hope.) I like the idea of throwing in a few stars here and there, too.
    BLessings!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!