Monday, August 31, 2020

Beginning A Modified Quilt Retreat

 The pandemic forced us to cancel the annual Canter's Cave Retreat which was supposed to happen in early April. We tried rescheduling for this week, but so many of us were needing to cancel or cut short their stay. What to do? Trusty friend to the rescue: Terry offered to host us for the week at her house; we canceled Canter's Cave entirely and are now set up in every inch of her family room. We are not staying overnight since we all live so close, but we are gathering there each day for sewing, quilting, and camaraderie. I will miss two afternoons for my classes; others will miss for various and sundry reasons, but for the biggest part of the week we are making it work.

My first objective for the week is to stitch as much of this quilt - True Blue - as I can. I made a valiant start this morning before having to leave for my classes, and first thing tomorrow I will be removing papers from my Thangles HSTs. I anticipate that this quilt will go together quickly; the instructions couldn't be more straightforward. And since I have already been working on that earlier churn dash quilt, I sorta' have a system established. 

I did pack the other churn dash project for a backup project. I knew I would end up working on these two projects simultaneously. And I do not regret this in the least! In fact, we Frankfort girls are going to do another sew-along from now until Christmas - make 42 6.5" churn dash blocks for a group exchange. So I need to get started on that! Whoo - hoo! I went from just dying to have a churn dash quilt to working on 3 all at the same time. 

I do not have a problem with this!

In other news, I have been visiting the one UFO that was on my goals list for 2020 - Meadow Lily. I cannot explain why I have drug my feet on this; from all my investigations, I see no mistakes; only potential. I can offer a couple of pictures of the situation as it now stands.


All I can figure is that my plan was to make more blocks than the pattern called for; then I realized I would not have enough fabric to make the setting blocks - so I stopped. Hmmm. Puzzling.  I've decided that I will make the pattern as it was written, and deal with all these extra flower blocks somehow, sometime, later. FYI: it is a Thimbleberries pattern.

Now, here we are at the end of August. My goodness, it went fast. September needs to have some goals, and I am working on those now. I will share soon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





1 comment:

  1. The daytime retreat sounds like a fun time! Happy stitching to all!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!