Thursday, October 15, 2020

Silent, But Busy

 I don't seem to find much time to blog these days, but I do find time to sew and quilt. That's about the best I can do while everything is weird for the present. Remodeling unheaval, DH's continued mysterious ailments and virtual classes - all these have kept this gal off her computer and away from her blog!

Sharon and I found a day this week that we could sew together. She was here Tuesday and we both felt very accomplished as we finished out the day. I have a new finish - a former UFO - and she began stitching the rows together on her dotty Kaffe quilt, Kites. (see previous post)

This is Meadow Lily, a Thimbleberries pattern from way, way back. I do not recall the publication date on the book, but I know I started this quilt in 2006. It earned its UFO status when I decided to make it larger than the pattern called for only to discover that I would not have enough fabric to complete it. 


Back in 2017, I tackled and finished twelve (12!) UFOs with a whole lot of satisfaction. That was a huge accomplishment; I did not have very many more UFOs left in storage. Meadow Lily was one of those 3 or 4 remaining, and it has nagged at me quite a lot since that big, productive year. It became a goal for 2020 and it is done! Well, at least the flimsy is done; quilting it is another goal. Yes, it IS satisfying to finish such an old UFO.

 

I spread this flimsy out on the bed Tuesday and began taking pictures. Sharon started to say something, and then stopped; it was as if she wasn't sure she should mention it. And then I saw what she'd just seen. 

How on earth did I NOT see this mistake? Incredible. I have not yet decided if I want to fix it. After all, it is such a great representation of this crazy, mixed up, coronavirus year we are having. It might get to stay the way it is simply to salute 2020 - maybe. I still may take the seam ripper to it and turn that little flower bud around the right way. It wouldn't take long at all. So I am still in the deciding process.

Early this week, I graded the biggest assignment of the entire semester; whew, I am always so relieved when that is done. I have rewarded myself with that sewing day with Sharon, and a few hours here and there with some additional projects. It feels like I might get back to more regular blogging since that big assignment is past.

Sharon did some great sewing, and I will be bringing you an update on it. I traveled to a quilt shop in DH's home town not long ago; I plan to share it, too. I do have some planned posts, so come on back! I will try not to be gone so long from here on out.

Happy Quilting, Friends!






3 comments:

  1. It's good to hear from you again but you're very busy with everything going on in your life now. Meadow Lily is a very pretty quilt. I'm hoping you can find time to get her quilted this year yet. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are spot-on with your assessment of this crazy year. I think we should put in one screwy block in each of our 2020 quilts. I know I have, accidentally, of course. Some weeks during the worst of the lockdowns I couldn't even tell you what day of the week it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don’t you just love to rip? I try hard to not but it happens. This is a beautiful quilt! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!